"I have always been interested in dance" - Common App Essay

silversweet 6 / 14  
Okay so I was really unsure about this and it took me forever to write. Please give any comments. How can I improve it? Should I talk more bout culture?

Evaluate a significant experience, achievement, risk you have taken, or ethical dilemma you have faced and its impact on you.

My heart was pounding with such force that I thought it might jump out. I had done this a thousand times before, but it was always so new and different each time. A new me, a new story to tell. I knew the anxiety would be over soon as I would be divulged in my passion.

The music suddenly surged through my body and I was stripped. Nothing mattered, just the music and the feeling. I was a world unto myself standing bare in front of multitudes. I was trying something new, but there was no fear anymore. It was me and no one else's opinion mattered.

The crystal sound of each raga flowing into my ear caused the fire to erupt in a series of poses. I was transported to the mystical land of the gods. My body was celebrating with them the birth of universe. The beautiful colors of my Bharatnatyam top dazzled the crowds but they murmured about my ragged jeans. The song continued with a surprising twist to the audience. The music even more pressing on my body causing everything to come alive and tingle. I felt my body and I felt my soul. I was popping and locking now. The structured, feminine, and emotionally elaborate movements of Bharatnatyam followed by fast jerky movements of hip hop with a dab of dramatic pirouettes and jumps from the ballet. Each part chasing each other to finally come to a beautiful unison. Out of breath, I finally came out of my trance. I had done it. I had told my story. The applause echoed through the air and I heard my passion shared.

I have always been interested in dance and it has taught me a lot. It has taught me necessity of patience, determination, and perseverance. However, maybe the most significant aspect of dance is what it has taught me about myself. My final performing piece was to show the different cultures that blend to make me. I am Indian but I have lived in Hungary and been to American and British international schools. Each of the cultures stand out distinctly in me: from the vibrant gentleness to the showy confidence and from traditions to innovations with the additional classicalist revelations. I have learned and understood the cultures of many nations in my school and have also experienced them through my dance. I have participated in samba, afropop, ballet, bharatnatyam, hip hop, ballroom dancing, disco swing dancing, salsa, and tap dancing styles. Learning one style makes learning the next one easier just as experience with one culture helps understanding other cultures and communicating with thousands of people around the world. Just as I have learned great lessons from dance and diversity, I wish to share my passion, discovery, and experience with others.
My final performance was to show the different cultures that blend to make me.

I am Indian but I have lived in Hungary and have been to American and British international schools.

I really like your essay! Good luck!

:)

Home / Undergraduate / "I have always been interested in dance" - Common App Essay