An international transfer student. Questions on personal statement definition.

dchungs 1 / -  
I am applying to Dartmouth as a international transfer student.
They do not require any essays, but a personal statement is needed.
I am not quite sure what I should write in a personal statement.
The following is the instructions for the Dartmouth personal statement:
The Transfer Application Personal Statement provides you with an opportunity to outline your reasons for seeking to transfer and the objectives that you hope to achieve by changing schools.

While you do not need to know exactly what your major will be when applying to Dartmouth, you should use your Personal Statement to help us understand how changing schools will further your academic or career goals.

The Admissions Committee will pay attention to the quality of the writing in your personal statement, but we will also look to hear your "voice" and to learn something about you.

Write in a style that is comfortable for you - don't try to be something that you're not (If you're funny and people praise your wonderful sense of humor, that's great. If not, this might not be the place to start trying to be funny.)

from: dartmouth.edu/admissions/apply/transfer/statement.html

So, should I write an overview of some important experience and achievements in life?
Should I focus on one meaningful experience instead?
Or should I focus on the reasons why I am transferring to Dartmouth and how Dartmouth would help me achieve my goals? Should I be creative or specific?

I am also trying to apply to Carnegie Mellon and they need a personal statement too.
However, Carnegie Mellon has an essay question asking: Why you have chosen Carnegie Mellon, and your particular major, department, or program?
So my personal statement for Carnegie Mellon mainly focuses on some important experience and achievements in life. Is that Okay?
Please give me some advice. I don't want my personal statement to sound boring or leading to the wrong direction.
Thanks!
Hi Daisy, this is a great opportunity for you to express what you are all about. Have you ever met anyone who was so inspired and motivated that she rushed every day to happily achieve all her goals? Someone who inspires you to take action because she is taking such purposeful, thoughtful action about something she cares deeply about?

That is what you need to do here. Your hesitation is understandable, Because many people are not quite sure about what their purpose should be in writing this kind of essay. But if you get into an inspired state of mind before you begin to write, maybe the reader will be able to share in your inspiration. An admissions office reader can really appreciate an essay that gives her or him a meaningful experience, and perhaps even inspires them a little bit. When you do that for the reader, it motivates them to help you achieve your goals, too. Plus, everyone knows the most deserving students are the ones who make a detailed plan with short term goals, and proceed as busy enthusiastically toward achieving them.

The light! And this is a great player but I think will benefit a lot of people in the future are killed when they stumbled upon it. I look forward to seeing what you write!

Home / Undergraduate / An international transfer student. Questions on personal statement definition.