JHU - describe choices in major - Neuroscience/Autism Research

denofthieves 2 / 6  
Prompt: Johns Hopkins offers 50 majors across the schools of Arts & Sciences and Engineering. On this application, we ask you to identify one or two that you might

like to pursue here. Why did you choose the way you did? If you are undecided, why didn't you choose? 250 words maximum. (This is 249)

"I want to be an astronaut." Kevin said. "You?"
"Not sure." I admitted. My cousins and I were in the upper years of elementary school, and due to the frequency at which we were asked about it, it was about time for us to decide on what we wanted to be when we grew up.

"Science." I finally concluded. "I like science."
"There you have it!" Kevin remarked. "You can find the cure for cancer."
"No," said Lucas, turning to his brother Michael. Michael had been diagnosed with severe autism two years earlier. The disorder had stripped him of all ability to communicate, but, though he was young, his victories over his condition's limitations served as a great inspiration. "She can find the cure for autism!"

That simple conversation remains, eight years later, the backbone of my goals for the future. Today, I still aspire to major in neuroscience and to go into research in autism and other neurodevelopmental disorders, an ambition that would be surely fulfilled with the great opportunities that Johns Hopkins would present. I want to explore my infinite curiosity for the fascinating living machine that is the brain, but even more than that, I want to do the best I can to give a voice to the voicelessly profound boy who somehow has taught me more than anyone else I've yet encountered. I know I'm a better person because of Michael's influence. To unlock the mysteries of autism would impact the world in ways unimaginable.
That simple conversation remains, eight years later, the backbone of my goals for the future.---This is great! I have an autistic brother in law, and he is the most interesting and intelligent person I know. I wish his life could be less frustrating for him, and the world needs more people like you.

Today, I still aspire to major in neuroscience and to go into research in autism and other neurodevelopmental disorders, an ambition that would be surely fulfilled by the great opportunities that being a student at Johns Hopkins would present.

I want to satiate my infinite curiosity for the fascinating living machine that is the brain, ...

I know I'm a better person because of Michael's influence. To unlock the mysteries of autism would impact the world in ways unimaginable.

I admire you for this so much, and hope all the best for you. They'll be lucky to have you as a student, and the rest of us are lucky that there are people like you in the world. Good luck with school and have fun!

:)

Home / Undergraduate / JHU - describe choices in major - Neuroscience/Autism Research