Johns Hopkins University-Why I Chose Math and Public Health

cmg12 3 / 3  
While I adore and appreciate film and literature, and consider myself to be a well-cultured and well-read student, I am in my element in room C2014, the AP Calculus classroom. Calculus, and mathematics in general, is an escape from the often ambiguous realms of literature, science and social studies. There is always a definite solution, something that a pragmatist like me can overwhelmingly appreciate. I adore the way that the product rule and the reverse product rule allow derivatives and integrals to be interdependent on one another. The steadfastness and consistency of mathematics is what continues to capture my affection as time goes on. I can always be sure that the derivative of x2 is 2x, and there is absolutely nothing to change that. The same cannot be said for literature, as I may be able to have a heated debate with someone on whether they like or do not like Heathcliff from Wuthering Heights. Not only does it possess a definitive nature, but also one of beauty. During the last year, I have been exposed to mathematics that goes beyond the bounds of calculus. Fractals display how utterly fascinating mathematics can actually be, as their repeating patterns create intricate images of brilliance and beauty. "Pure mathematics is, in its way, the poetry of logical ideas". This quote from Albert Einstein so deeply reflects my passion for the science. My view on math is very similar to that of a fractal; after every iteration, the pieces of the complex puzzle fit more perfectly together, just as the deeper I explore the depths of mathematics, the more I know that I must study it.

Although my love for mathematics cannot be matched, I have recently found myself pondering a career in the public health field. Growing up with a nurse as a mother, I have always been exposed to the atmosphere of a hospital. I recall going into hospitals as a young boy, and instead of being agitated and anxious as most people are, I appreciated the environment I was in, and recognized it more as a portal for life and a station for healing, rather than a dungeon of mortal despair. I have in recent years decided that this type of curiosity and adoration for the work that hospitals do would be best put into use as a hospital administrator. Thus, the health policy and management sector of the public health world would be most advantageous to me. As I explored all that this vast department has to offer, I discovered biostatistics, a portion of the Public Health Studies major that could easily satisfy my mathematics desire. I am most aware that the Bloomberg School of Public Health is world renowned, and I am sure that with an undergraduate foundation in the subject matter, I would be all the more prepared for what Bloomberg has to offer.
anjello 1 / 18  
I really like your essay but I think it would be better if you could somehow connect math and public health. Your two paragraphs are about completely different things and, other than the intro for the 2nd paragraph, nothing ties them together.

Overall, it's a really good statement
While I adore and appreciate film and literature, and consider myself to be a well-cultured and well-read student, the setting in which I thrive the most is room C2014 -- the AP Calculus classroom.

"Pure mathematics is, in its way, the poetry of logical ideas". This quote from Albert Einstein so deeply reflects my passion for the science.

That first para is so long, I felt sure I was going to tell you you need a paragraph break in there somewhere, but actually I was wrong. You did great with that long paragraph.

Now that I read paragraph 2, I changed my mind. I think you should find a way to throw in a thesis sentence that mentions both pub health and math, and end the first paragraph. Give this essay a brief intro that refers to both, then give a para for each, and finally give a brief cnclusion para that refers to both. Let the intro and conclusion BOTH give an insight that puts together the 2 fields of interest with the use of a theme that captures both.

Maybe there is no room for all that, though! It is quite good already, even if it cannot be changed, but for good composition you should have an intro and conclusion that "support" both subjects of this essay.

:-)
linmark 2 / 328 7  
Kevin gave you very insightful feedback. Did you incorporate it? Let's see the end result.

Home / Undergraduate / Johns Hopkins University-Why I Chose Math and Public Health