Life experiences trigger PASSION for CLINICAL PSYCHOLOGY. UIC essay.

lak23 1 / 4  
Hello all,

Any advice, suggestions, grammar corrections...anything is appreciated!!

Personal essay for the University of Illinois--Chicago

This personal statement is carefully considered in the admission selection process. This is the opportunity for you to tell us more about yourself and your goals or interest in a particular field of study, your readiness for college, preparedness for the major, as well as your activities, accomplishments, and work experience. Explain any personal experience, responsibilities and/or challenges that have impacted you or your academic achievements and/or your choice of career. Please be as detailed as possible. Put your name and date of birth on the top of your personal statement.

My passion for pursuing a career as a Clinical Psychologist specializing in child and adolescent behavioral development was not determined in a matter of weeks or even months. Rather, it developed and solidified over the entire course of my life. The divorce of my parents at an early age and having Attention-Deficit/Hyperactivity Disorder naturally impacted my life, in profoundly negative ways. As in many divorce situations, the struggle of bouncing back and forth between my parents' homes made me feel alone. Nevertheless-and rather surprisingly-their divorce has also engendered positive changes in my life. At the age of six, my mother arranged for me to see a psychologist to help me cope with the instability of my situation. Although relying on a stranger for guidance initially frightened me, it was through those weekly visits that I learned to overcome the challenging aspects of my life and become a more confident person. As I questioned my own diagnosis, I discovered a passion for the inner workings of the human mind, as well as a strong desire to help people.

In addition to my counseling experiences, my empathy for and understanding of others strengthens my ability to persevere in the psychology field. Coming from a family with a history of mental illness heightened my curiosity regarding the genetic nature of mental disorders. This firsthand experience has enhanced my awareness of others who struggle with neurological and interpersonal difficulties. Also, my cultural background-Mexican and Polish-has strengthened my multicultural competence, which is an essential factor in this field. My mother's side of the family holds true to their Hispanic roots, valuing family and tradition; while my father's side has become assimilated into the American culture.

While my personal history has inspired my passion for this field, my commitment in helping others made manifest through my work experience and various programs I partake in. My position as a Shift Manager at Buona Companies forced me to negotiate some difficult personalities that enhanced my communication skills and developed my leadership abilities. Through a five-week volunteer program sponsored by Junior Achievement (JA), a nonprofit organization, my interest in working with children was reaffirmed. I educated a second grade bilingual class at Drexel School through various interactive lesson plans. I helped the students to understand the responsibilities and opportunities available within the community and the importance of education for future career development. Continuing education is almost essential in today's world; therefore, as a member in Morton's Scholarship Committee, I have partaken in the fundraising for the HOPE Scholarship. This provides undocumented students who do not qualify for financial aid the opportunity to further one's education at Morton College. My dedication in volunteering has developed me into a well rounded, culturally accepting, and determined individual that is prepared for the next step in her education and career goals.

In preparation for a career in Clinical Psychology, I have taken courses in psychology, social work, biology, chemistry, and the humanities at Morton College. Having graduated in the top 10 percentile from St. Joseph High School as an Illinois State Scholar and a member of the National Honor Society has prepared me for my success in college. I have maintained a 3.9 GPA, am currently a member of Phi Theta Kappa, and am on the Morton College President's List. I take pride in being an individual with a strong moral and work ethic. Learning to overcome obstacles early in life has been a valuable experience that has led me to the successful person I am today. My motivation and strong academic record have both prepared me for the goals I have in attending both the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences (LAS) and the Honors College at UIC.

For these reasons I am applying to the LAS and the Honors College with the intent to obtain a Bachelor of Arts Degree with a major in General Psychology. The clinical and behavioral research opportunities offered through the psychology program can provide me with the adequate preparation for further training in human development to become a successful Clinical Psychologist. At the same time, the demanding and interdisciplinary nature of Core courses can offer me the necessary skills and opportunities for growth-not only through academics, but as well as set a foundation for my future. I can offer UIC my cultural awareness and acceptance of others, my motivation and determination in setting and reaching high goals for myself, and my ability to successfully take on the challenge of rigorous academics as well as playing an active role in the school and community as a whole. In pursuing Clinical Psychology, I hope to offer this field a genuine sense of empathy, which has been developed throughout my years of struggle. Knowing my purpose in life has given me the confidence and inner strength to pursue my goals.
chalumeau /  
I have attached my corrections and comments.
Let me know what you think.

OP lak23 1 / 4  
Thank you so much with your corrections! I appreciate it greatly!

There is no word limit and the personal essay is optional.

I have some more essays on the way if you can assist me with those as well, I would appreciate it.

Your advice has been amazing!

Home / Undergraduate / Life experiences trigger PASSION for CLINICAL PSYCHOLOGY. UIC essay.