"Don't limit your challenges, challenge your limits" - My reason for choosing Waterloo

EssaysReview 1 / 1  

Waterloo AIF APPLICATION ESSAY

Please tell us about your educational goals, your interest in your chosen program(s), and your reasons for applying to the University of Waterloo. If you have applied to more than one program please discuss your interest in each program. (900 character limit= 140 words)

My reason for choosing Waterloo can be summarized by this quote: "Don't limit your challenges, challenge your limits" (author unknown). Waterloo pushes academic boundaries, embraces critical thinking, and promotes work experience--especially in the programs, I am most passionate about--economics and computer science. I would like to join this community of collaborative inquirers to expand my own boundaries. Since a young age, I loved logical progressions. I realized I had a penchant for logical reasoning, which ignited my interest in coding, design, and economics. I sought out classes in business and technology outside of school and ultimately created my own startup--Name--which I continue to develop. I now want to build on my foundation at Waterloo with the goal of creating novel and meaningful products through new entrepreneurial endeavors.

Is this a good response?
Ruben, this is a very vague statement response to a question that requires specifics. The quote is totally unnecessary as it does not relate to Waterloo in any way. So you can remove the quote. It doesn't help move the essay forward. If you are passionate about receiving a double major in economics and computer science, then you should explain your educational goals in a manner that connects the two majors and represents a way that only the curriculum presentation and learning programs offered by Waterloo can accommodate. Be specific about the academic goals and why Waterloo is the best choice for you. These could be related to the subjects or the training opportunities the university will allow you to experience.

Your current essay does not work in terms of delivering useful information for the consideration of the reviewer. This statement sounds more like a non-response rather than a true response to the given prompt. I don't advise you to use this statement for the prompt. It isn't going to deliver any information that the reviewer can use in considering your application.
OP EssaysReview 1 / 1  
What is your opinion on this fix then?

Does it fix all the problems you sited?

Economics provides me with the reasoning framework by which I can analyse markets and create solutions to all kinds of problems. Computer science on the other hand provides me with the technical knowledge I need to implement solutions, and problem solving frameworks by which problems can be understood in clear ways. As an entrepreneur these skills would bring me considerable value. Today I use these skills at my startup--Name-- founded to scale a iOS application. Waterloo University would be the perfect place for me to develop these skills. Through your coop programs, and practical learning experiences I would learn these skills in the most efficient and enjoyable manner possible. Additionally the work focused, and forward-thinking students at your school would be great company when pursuing what others would believe are too difficult a problem to solve. For these reasons I believe your school best matches my learning style, and the student body best reflects my pursuit of solving problems and creating new wants in creative ways.

Home / Undergraduate / "Don't limit your challenges, challenge your limits" - My reason for choosing Waterloo