"Don't be a litter bug!"; PERSONAL STATEMENT - U Arizona

Ameliaatt 1 / -  
A personal statement is our best means of getting to know you and your best means of putting your academic performance and activities in the context of your life. There are no "wrong" answers. When you write your personal statement, tell us about those aspects of your life that are not evident from your academic record. Because personal statements are brief, they usually focus on one aspect of a student's life. For example, you could focus on a character-defining moment, a cultural awareness, a challenge faced, family background or cultural heritage, individual talents, academic commitment, or extracurricular activities. Tell us what you would like us to know about you in considering you for admission and/or scholarships.

Max: 500 words.
My essay is 361.
I want to know if this is a strong essay and if you guys this it is long enough.
Thank you for reading.

Here it is!

For me, getting through school wasn't always a breeze. I struggled through my freshman year of high school because I was concerned with all the wrong aspects of life. By this I mean that I spent hours getting ready for school and hardly payed mind to my academics. I spent my sophomore year slowly getting away from the toxic behaviors I let myself fall into. However, in my junior year I was extremely inspired by a wise teacher of mine. He was the humanities instructor but he made the real impact by teaching my college and career prep class. Mr. Pontious was down to earth and had a way of teaching that prepared me to invest myself in my education. From his ways, I realized that one only gets as far as they are willing to work to achieve. After this eureka realization, I strived towards putting my all into every assignment. A person is only as educated as they wish to be. This lovely ideal caused me to take an additional math class as well as honors humanities for senior year. I have proved to myself how hard I can work and the amazing results that come with it. Now that I have improved my agenda, I know what I want to aim for in my continued education.

Due to a passion for science and a desire to positively impact my society I hope to go into a veterinary career or an environmental career. I love animals and this planet. I am thinking that once I get through some of my basic college classes and partake in clubs and activities involving these subjects, my eyes will be opened to which is the right path. Growing up, I always wanted a new animal and often found myself saying the cute phrase, "Don't be a litter bug!". I didn't realize interests would soon become potential career goals. Although now that they are, I am fully prepared to take on more rigorous course work and extracurricular activities I am thankful to have had such an amazing turn around in my life and I am ready to take it as far as I possible.
kabamawekesa 2 / 3  
You might want to shorten some of the sentences a bit. They are a bit too wordy.
By this I mean that I spent hours getting ready for school and hardly payeddid pay attentionmind to my academics

What do you mean by getting ready for school? ... Sounds like as if it is the time you took to dress up ... I guess you mean something more serious than that but it does not flow well :(

He was the humanities instructor but he made the real impact by teaching my college and career prep class.

This again not written properly :( .... What's the subject this guy instructed? Humanities?

Home / Undergraduate / "Don't be a litter bug!"; PERSONAL STATEMENT - U Arizona