'living a carefree life, refusing to adapt to changes' Richmond leaving comfort zone

Kseniya_Vi 1 / -  
I had to write an essay for a U of R supplements, the question is "Tell us about an experience in which you left your comfort zone. How did this experience change you?"

If anyone could read it and check it for grammar mistakes and give their opinion on it, that would be really great. I really need someone's help with it, cause I am also an international student and might make some stupid mistakes.So, here it is.

For some people the definition of a comfort zone is their house, home-town, family or friends. I am still not sure if there is an exact definition of a comfort zone, it might not be even a place but just a feeling of belonging, security and familiarity. Every person has its own comfort zone where he can be relaxed and not worried about things going on around him, but sometimes people get stuck in their "bubbles" and avoid new challenges.

As for me, I have been out of my comfort zone for a few times - when I had to live with my dad and his new wife, when I went to America as an exchange student, but the most memorable experience of leaving my comfort zone happened when I was 12 years old. It was the time I was a kid who lived a carefree life and always remained in my comfort zone. As time passes by, things start to change and life starts to challenge us in some kind of way, which requires coming out of a comfort zone and adapting to some changes. The challenge I had to face was my parents' divorce. I stayed to live with my mom, but did not what to accept the fact that my dad moved out, I was stuck in my comfort zone and did not want things to change.

One day me and my mom went to the mall to buy some kitchen supplies, we walked by my favorite store and I saw a new Barbie doll I really wanted to have. Because of the divorce, my mom could not afford buying a new expensive toy, but I refused to comprehend. The reason was me living a carefree life and refusing to adapt to changes. My mom did not have any luck trying to explain the situation. The week after that she took me to a place I have never knew about before - a homeless shelter. Being there made me feel confused, uncomfortable and everything was unfamiliar to me, later I realized that I just stepped out of my "bubble". My mom said we were there to volunteer and help those people. The first thing I did that day was playing with other kids, they did not have any toys to play with and the only thing for fun there was a gym with two basketball hoops. About half an hour later we went to the kitchen to help serve the food, and the food at the shelter did not look so great. I felt really bad for complaining about my mom not buying me a new doll, those kids at the homeless shelter did not have any fancy toys at all and they were happy to just have a roof above them.

Spending only one day out of my comfort zone was a good wake-up call for me to realize how blessed I am with what I have in my life. It also taught me that I should not be scared to face life challenges, and getting out of my comfort zone is always a good experience.
brianaor 2 / 4  
For some people the definition of a comfort zone is their house, home-town, family or friends. I am still not sure if there is an exact definition of a comfort zone, it might not be even a place but just a feeling of belonging, security and familiarity. Every person has its own comfort zone where he can be relaxed and not worried about things going on around him, but sometimes people get stuck in their "bubbles" and avoid new challenges. I am not sure how "relaxed and not worried" parrallels being stuck and avoiding challenges. For some, haveing a challenge may be comfortable.

As for me, I have been out of my comfort zone for a few times - when I had to live with my dad and his new wife, when I went to America as an exchange student, but the most memorable experience of leaving my comfort zone happened when I was 12 years old. It was the time I was a kid who lived a carefree I may choose a different word such as worry free life and always remained in my comfort zone. previously you were writing in past tense and from here forward you move to present tense. It is better to pick one or the other. As time passes by, things start to change and life starts to challenge us in some kind of way, which requires coming out of a comfort zone and adapting to some changes. The challenge I had to face was my parents' divorce. I stayed to live with my mom, but did not what to accept the fact that my dad moved out, I was stuck in my comfort zone and did not want things to change.

Home / Undergraduate / 'living a carefree life, refusing to adapt to changes' Richmond leaving comfort zone