'When I ran into the arms of my mother' - U Richmond - leaving the comfort zone

emanon 4 / 16  
Prompt:Tell us about an experience in which you left your comfort zone. How did this experience change you?

Comments/suggestions are welcome! Thanks~

The ten of us kept quiet in our dorm, till the superintendent had dawdled from this end of aisle to the other end, and left. It was 10 o'clock in the evening, and it was girls' secret talking time. "It was terrible getting into that shabby public bathhouse with another 100 unknown girls!" "Well, it was much more terrible getting out of it with 100 unknown boys standing at the gate waiting to get in!" Some of us giggled embarrassedly. I looked out from the windowsill next to my bed and saw that the sky was teemed with stars vaguely shining. I turned over and sighed, "Still tomorrow must be dazzling heat". The night grew quiet again.

That was during a military training summer camp, and everything was so hot and lazy, except the non-stop chit-chat. We managed to complain about all that was different from our ordinary school life, from scorching ultraviolet, the unbearable melting heat, to baggy military uniforms that became baggier after several washing. At last we agreed on the conclusion, that we were being homesick.

"Every single day at the camp has been elongated." I wrote in my diary, "June 13th, I checked it in the mirror. Lena was right. The whole back neck has been red and rough like scratched. I should have put more sun block cream there." "June 16th, The adjacent girl kept punching me on the hand while we were marching. I know it's inevitable, but uh, the pain at the wrist drives me crazy now." "June 18th, Instructors told us that all has to be learnt from the start, and that when you fail at first attempt, it's no harm attempting again 'til you perfect. I felt my back neck to see if it got better, and it did." "June 21st, another rainy day, but I have found ways to make the best of a vacant session. Daisy has lent me these wonderful books, and now I could really use some time to draft a paper for the speech making competition. Just the first attempt. Don't panic." "June 24th, I have to wash my clothes and Rebecca's. It was part of the bet. I mean how can you depend on anyone but yourself for real knowledge? Above all, rumors are rumors. But, people grow up by missteps and corrections." "June 25th, in font of the podium the presenter made a request for the final candidates to line up. Surprisingly I found myself to be the tallest of the seven! And we were ascending onto the stage" ...

June 30th was the last day of the month, the last day of the summer camp, but the first day of my new life. At the closing ceremony, the commander addressed the floor. "To survive in a new environment one must adapt; but to thrive, it takes courage, faith and sense." His fingers erected. "The courage to take the first step out of your too familiar life, the faith to build a better self, and the sense to distinguish between a mistake and a wrongdoing" I saw my tanned skin was glowing under the sun. I knew the inside was also radiant with energy and determination. The scar at the back neck had faded with the rebirth of skin, and what had hurt so much at the wrist was now holding the laureate cup. With the experience I got from military training, I became positive for whatever the future has in store for me, for I have built in myself courage, faith and sense that enable me to survive and thrive outside my comfort zone alike.

When I ran into the arms of my mother, I decided not to tell her that I cried hard in the first few days.
I looked out from the windowsill next to my bed and saw that the sky was teeming with stars vaguely shining.

... the unbearable melting heat, to baggy military uniforms that became baggier after several washings .

At last we agreed on the conclusion, that we were just feeling homesick.

"Every single day at the camp has been elongated ."---'Seems longer than the one before' would sound better, I think.

The whole back of my neck has been red and rough as if scratched.

I felt the back of my neck to see if it got better, and it did."

The scar at the back of my neck had faded with the rebirth of skin, and what had hurt so much at the wrist was now holding the laureate cup.---Awesome!!

With the experience I gained from military training, I became positive for whatever the future has in store for me, for I have built in myself courage, faith and sense that will continue to enable me to survive and thrive outside my comfort zone. alike.

When I ran into the arms of my mother, I decided not to tell her that I cried hard during the first few days.

I like your essay, you are e very good and interesting writer! Good luck in school and have fun!

:)
OP emanon 4 / 16  
Thank u so much for looking at my essay! @_@ BTW' It's very lovely of you to mark them red~

Home / Undergraduate / 'When I ran into the arms of my mother' - U Richmond - leaving the comfort zone