"You don't even look Filipino." - Personal Statement

r991183878 6 / 19  
Hello. I need help with my essay, it will be greatly appreciated! I'm mostly wondering about what I need to add, like if there is empty spaces in the essay. thanks!

Prompt #2: Tell us about a personal quality, talent, accomplishment, contribution or experience that is important to you. What about this quality or accomplishment makes you proud and how does it relate to the person you are?

People can perceive others for many things, judging every aspect and characteristic of them without actually knowing who they are or where they come from. Society is extremely judgmental and forces people to pick sides. I am multicultural. My mother has a diverse background of ancestors from the Philippines, China, and the Cherokee Tribe. My father's ethnicity is strictly European.

"What are you?" A constantly asked question that has become a reoccurring ritual over the years, but during the summer of my junior year, when a coworker asked this, I simply told her that I was half Filipino and White. Growing up, I realized that I mostly had European features, but I looked somewhat racially ambiguous, and people interpreted my ethnicity however they wanted to. Since I was younger, I've been told I look Mexican, Jewish, Greek, Spanish, and the list goes on. I do not really mind people asking what I am. However, when I told my classmate my ethnicity, she stubbornly replied, "What? You're not really Filipino. You don't even look Filipino."

For a moment, her statement threw me off guard. She was not only judging me, she was making assumptions of my culture and the way I look and act corresponding with my ethnicity. I simply did not fit into the typical stereotype of the standard Filipino and I found myself having to prove my ethnicity. She was not allowing me to be myself and I felt defeated, as if I could only claim my European side.

This experience was one of the most stressful situations that I have ever faced, but it has taught me something that no lesson at school could have ever taught me. Like at my home, where two completely different cultures collide, I like to find the similarities in people rather than the differences. Instead of picking sides, joining together helps people unite and become one, setting aside the differences that keep us apart.

By the end of the summer, my coworker and I surprisingly became good friends. I am proud that we were able to put aside our differences and overturn the assumptions that were made when we did not know each other very well.
nevabressler - / 20  
Too often, people judge others based on cultural backgrounds, judging every aspect and characteristic of them without actually knowing who they are or where they come from.

Great essay! I enjoyed reading it, and could not find anything wrong. I'm Irish and French, and have a daughter who is half Iranian. I've often heard people wondering out loud if she was half black, Spanish, Indian, and in one case, Wookie! I've always wondered why on earth anyone would care, as we are all human beings and of one family. I like the way you think.

Neva
OP r991183878 6 / 19  
Thanks for your reply it means a lot! Yeah that's soooo true... It should not be such a huge factor in some cases!
TheFlameProof 4 / 20  
That was a good essay, I had similar problems as well, but I think you should elaborate more on what was accomplished because it was kind of brief.

If you have time please try giving me feedback on mine I would really appreciate it as well.
OP r991183878 6 / 19  
Thanks for the feedback

Any more suggestions?
egetzshef 1 / 2  
sometimes stories are more interesting when u start at the climax. like if u started with "What, you don't even look Filipino" and went from there. it's a good grabber and u can fill in the background after that. also, then you avoid making generalizations in the beginning "People can perceive others for many things, judging every aspect and characteristic of them without actually knowing who they are or where they come from. Society is extremely judgmental and forces people to pick sides."
OP r991183878 6 / 19  
Thanks egetzshef for your suggestion!

I have another question if anyone minds answering lol.. Do you guys think this is an accomplishment? My brother keeps saying that it's not really an accomplishment but I just say that overcoming me + my coworkers differences is an accomplishment? Do you think that that's a good enough..?

Home / Undergraduate / "You don't even look Filipino." - Personal Statement