'look for new groups to jam with' - letter to your future dormmate

demitrin 1 / 1  
"Virtually all of Stanford's undergraduates live on campus. Write a note to your future roommate that reveals something about you or that will help your roommate - and us - know you better."

Dear future roommate,
Skip the small-talk and don't ask me, "What is your favorite genre of music?" My answer would not make sense. Music taste is not a matter of genre, artist, nor reputation, but rather in the moment characteristics. When I am reading or working on homework I listen to relaxing music, when I am lifting weights I listen to energizing music, and when I am walking I listen to music I can march to. All types of music have a place in my life, whether it is jazz, classical, dubstep, or hip-hop.

I constantly search for new artists; each style conveys unique messages. Exposure to various genres of music is like experiencing different lifestyles. Ricky Nelson captures the 1950's pop culture, while the vast amounts of modern genres illustrate the diversity of our society. Understanding music helps me relate to other cultures.

At all times of the day, I have music playing. I enjoy waking to Radiohead and sleeping to Nujabes. Music provides an escape from daily tribulations. After a fight with my mother or a bad day at work, music calms me. My mind travels to another world without problems. As long as headphones and drumsticks are in reach, I have an emotional outlet.

Music builds bridges for friendships: a common interest, way of life, or simple hobby. I remember when I first joined the school drum line. Initially, I felt out of place, but the people welcomed me and became my closest friends. We created bonds over the hardships of learning our songs, listening to music during breaks, and attending concerts together. I always look for new groups to jam with. If you play an instrument or simply love music, we will get along.

Any feedback is appreciated. Thank you very much.
Skip the small-talk and don't ask me, "What is your favorite genre of music?"---This immediately pegs you as a rude and uppity snob, leaving a bad first impression with any reader. I'm sure this isn't the way you want to be perceived!

When I am reading or working on homework I listen to relaxing music. W hen I am lifting weights I listen to energizing music, and when I am walking I listen to music I can march to.

Ricky Nelson captures the 1950's pop culture, while the vast amounts of modern genres illustrate the diversity of our society.

My mind travels to another world, a world without problems.

If you play an instrument or simply love music, we will get along. ---Again, this does not sound good. What if you get a deaf roommate, or someone who is more interested in other things than music? Also, you're not saying anything personal about yourself, other than you fight with your mother and love music. I think this essay would be much better if you try to sound more laid back and open to other people.

Good luck in school and have fun!

:)

Home / Undergraduate / 'look for new groups to jam with' - letter to your future dormmate