"Lost at Barnes & Noble"--UVA supplement

cherrybomb94 20 / 44  
Discuss your favorite place to get lost.

When I was little, I could often be found lost in the worlds of books like 'The Phantom Tollbooth' and 'The Last of the Very Great Whangdoodles'. These novels were my escape, and they allowed me to experience a kind of adventure that never existed in my everyday life. As I got older, I began to explore a greater variety of literature, from classic novels to biographies to "bestsellers". My dad and I began making weekend trips to Barnes & Noble, where we would read for hours or simply explore the shelves of books. These "reading trips" further encouraged my love for literature, and going to Barnes & Noble became a weekend ritual that we continue to this day. During these trips, I'll sometimes wander in the nonfiction section, reading bits of a psychology book by Malcolm Gladwell or a biography on famous historical figures such as Benjamin Franklin. Others times I'll meander among the fiction shelves, poring over the latest novels by Lauren Weisberger or Jodi Picoult. The bookstore is one of my favorite places to go, because everywhere I look I'm surrounded by little worlds of fresh perspectives and knowledge. By simply opening a book, I'm able to venture into the unknown-I can join a traveling circus in the 1920's, learn about the hazards of bioengineered food, or try to piece together a murder mystery. To me, reading is the perfect way to get lost.
When I was little, I could often be found lost in the worlds of books, like 'The Phantom Tollbooth' and 'The Last of the Very Great Whangdoodles'.

...of a psychology book by Malcolm Gladwell or a biography on famous historical figures, such as Benjamin Franklin.

Your reading has payed off, you're an excellent writer! I love this part; '...everywhere I look I'm surrounded by little worlds of fresh perspectives and knowledge.'

Good luck with school and have fun!

:)

Home / Undergraduate / "Lost at Barnes & Noble"--UVA supplement