Love for the outdoors; Rutgers U - Trekking to Malaysia

allyferns2495 2 / 7  
Rutgers University is a vibrant community of people with a wide variety of backgrounds and experiences. How would you benefit from and contribute to such an environment? Consider variables such as your talents, travels, leadership activities, volunteer services, and cultural experiences.

Being someone with a love for the outdoors always came with consequences in the past. It was never truly encouraged. Now, colleges willingly accept these very kids, focusing not only on their academic credentials but equally weighing their abundant talents. I consider myself a part of this select few, who have much more to offer than just academic grades.

I have given equal attention and importance to extra-curricular activities as I have with my academic education. I prize myself on being an all rounder and find myself multitasking under duress, successfully completing the task at hand. Beginning from Grade 9 onwards, I have completely immersed myself in community service, took up any leadership opportunity available and debated overseas. At the young age of 13, courtesy to an organization called the World Challenge, I found myself in the Rainforests of Malaysia on a 2 week long trek. I had gained so much from that one trip, becoming assertive, strong willed and an efficient worker. For the leadership half of it, each team member would become leader and were expected to guide the group to the next campsite. For diversity, we got to witness the culture of the local people while we dined and constructed schools for their community and saw the world through their eyes. Next came the debates in Year's 10-11, with us going up against other local schools in Dubai and coming out over the top. I attained the confidence and clarity required to speak in front of an audience. We were one of the best teams in the country and were chosen to represent the school in an overseas debating competition. With courtesy of the World Scholars Cup, we were victorious once again, having successfully completed all writing and debating tasks and were qualified for the international round that was to be held at Yale University. I learnt to be assertive and practice my skills as a leader while simultaneously respecting the views of my fellow friends and team member's .Back home in Dubai I became part of the Cambridge International School's basketball team, being on the team changed who I was as a person. It made me physically and mentally stronger whilst fine tuning my lesser qualities, thus making me more responsible and a hard working team player.

"Knowledge is power" and I couldn't agree more. Getting into a college does not only mean being educated and finishing with a degree, to me it is so much more that just education. It is the ability to work well with the world, accept the diverse culture and be successful at doing both while simultaneously influencing peers. I have always wanted to help the less fortunate with my skills and training that I believe I will receive in full abundance from Rutgers. The neuroscience department is especially attractive with its latest research programs and attitude towards the subject. I believe I would become a tremendous asset to the University since growing up in such a healthy community has imbibed in me the feelings of acceptance and respect for others. I would bring my out-of-the-box thinking and undying dedication to the Rutgers community, participating and indulging in everything the University has to offer as I look forward to making it my new home next Spring.

let me know if certain sentences need to be omitted due to irrelevance :) thank you!
vananhnguyen 2 / 5  
."....focusing not only on their academic credentials but equally weighing their abundant talents...".
I think you should write ."focusing ....but also on equally...
OP allyferns2495 2 / 7  
thank you for your suggestion! i have made corrections :)
Getting into a college does not only mean being just educated and finishing it with a degree, to me it is so much more that just education .

It is the ability to work well with the world, accept the diverseculturecultural diversityand be successfulat doing both while simultaneously influencing peers. , appreciate co-existence and have our perspectives broadened.

I feel you should have little more emphasis on telling how your well roundness can contribute towards Rutgers. That's the most important task of this prompt.

Home / Undergraduate / Love for the outdoors; Rutgers U - Trekking to Malaysia