Macaulay - some issue or concern essay

shirleytse 5 / 17  
2. Discuss some issue of local, national, or international concern and its importance to you.
3. Tell us about a book, artwork, or lab experiment that changed the way you see the world. What was it about the work that affected you? How did your world become different?

I've thought about these two topics for a long time but I can't seem to come up with anything. Would anybody possibly know of event, book, or artwork that would be inspiring?
Llamapoop123 7 / 442  
Would anybody possibly know of even, book, or artwork that would be inspiring?

Haha. I think that the question wants you to revisit your past readings. Your way is cool though I guess. Truthfully I think that Harry Potter is inspiring. I have not read any other book that is as engaging and thought provoking. Ok maybe I've read more thought provoking ones. Although Harry Potters struggle with Voldemort (Yes I dare type his name) is a fictional one it can be related to our lives in terms of all those life lessons...

I would choose a fictional book anyway. It will give your writing the initial push.

I've always had trouble giving my friends advice on number 2 because they insist on writing about global concerns that have nothing more to do with them than the next person. Just choose something that actually effects you more than it effects many others. I like choosing local concerns. Don't try to stretch your topic too far just so that it can apply to you.
OP shirleytse 5 / 17  
Lol. i thought the Harry Potter series were great too until the movies ruined it for me. And my English teachers have always encouraged me to use books read and discussed in class rather than books I've read on my own time. However, i hardly find those books interesting enough to read let alone write an essay about- not a good one anyway. So, currently, I have writers block(if I can even call it that, i didn't even start). If you have any other suggestions PLEASE don't hesitate to tell me! =)

And just curious, are you going into your senior year or have you graduated already?
Llamapoop123 7 / 442  

I'm going into my senior year. w00t.
You want the name of book or artwork that could be inspiring? Wow. That would be a longer list than this forum could handle. Here are a few suggestions, in roughly chronological order:

Anything by Shakespeare
Idylls of the King, by Alfred Tennyson
The Ring and the Book, by Robert Browning
The Waste Land by T.S. Eliot
The Lord of the Rings, by J.R.R. Tolkien
Atlas Shrugged, by Ayn Rand
Blindsight by Peter Watts
Good Omens, by Terry Prachett and Neil Gaimon.
EF_Simone 2 / 1,986  
No, it has to be "a book, artwork, or lab experiment that changed the way you see the world." Only the writer knows what they might be. It's a good intellectual exercise to try to figure them out.
It would be entirely possible for a person to go and pick up a copy of one of the aforementioned books, read it, and then talk about how it influenced their world view. They would then be able to write about the book quite honestly, and with the material fresh in their minds. A useful approach for those who may not be widely read already.
EF_Simone 2 / 1,986  
Yes, although quite counter to the intentions of the askers of the question!
Damon1570 2 / 11  
If you absolutely can't think of anything, try to go for the "oddball" essay and maybe write about a very easy or basic book like one of Dr. Seuss's. It would definately be unique.
Llamapoop123 7 / 442  
Granted that you have a good sense of humor. Going for something like this would be a large risk and usually falls flat.
Liebe 1 / 542 2  
Would anybody possibly know of event, book, or artwork that would be inspiring?

^What one may find inspiring, may not be inspiring to you.

"The askers of the question"? You mean the author? Tsk, tsk. The notion that written things have authors with intentions is so last century.

Sorry. Couldn't resist. :-)
tal105 7 / 130  
though i do agree with liebe, i hear the book the secret (by rhonda byrne) is very uplifting. its DEFINETLY inspiring and stuff. my sister and a few friends have read it. i would consider you read it too. i want to, but i havent gotten around to it yet.

i would consider you to NOT choose harry potter. i know this essay isnt for columbia u, but i went to the informational and the admissions person said "we want to see ur reading more than just harry potter or twilight." ( im a HUGEEE potter fan btw. read ALL the book and seen alll the movies)

i also dont think you should choose a school book. they are VERY boring and u dont want it to be an ap english essay or a book report.

i rly do think you should check out secret or the secret.

edit
forgot to say good luck!!
Llamapoop123 7 / 442  
we want to see ur reading more than just harry potter or twilight

How dare that admissions officer mention Harry Potter and Twilight in the same sentence. For shame!
EF_Simone 2 / 1,986  

Good joke, but I meant the admissions committee, who clearly want to know about a work that already influenced the candidate rather than a book they looked up in order to answer the question.
I took your meaning. It's a valid point, but a person who had no obvious works to draw on could reasonably do some reading and answer the question without being strictly dishonest.
dccb 1 / 10  
It looks as even if you think you have the choice to select almost anything, part of the weight lies towards what they consider the right choice; a more complex literature will make you stand out.
Llamapoop123 7 / 442  
a more complex literature will make you stand out.

Not necessarily. A thought provoking piece of literature may not be the most complex. It depends on how the author expands on it to show that her thoughts are complex.
OP shirleytse 5 / 17  
I was actually thinking about writing about health care, because its a concern that affects me now and in the future. is that i good essay topic or is it too cliche?
It's very topical, and could easily lead to a cliched essays full of misunderstandings and misinterpretation. It could also lead to a carefully reasoned analysis of an important issue. Depends upon your level of skill in thinking and writing.

Home / Undergraduate / Macaulay - some issue or concern essay