major in biotechnology - Why Tufts?

lillyforlunch 2 / 7  
Prompt: Which aspects of Tufts' curriculum or undergraduate experience prompt your application? In short: ''Why Tufts?'' (500 characters available)

With an outstanding biology department and abundant research opportunities for undergraduates, Tufts is the best place for me to pursue my major in biotechnology. However, what truly sparked my interest in Tufts was hearing anecdotes of students' unique experiences while visiting campus. I want to spend the next four years with professors who lecture outside dressed as pirates and students who build ski jumps on the steepest parts of campus for spontaneous ski sessions.

I have 25 characters left.. any suggestions for a cohesive ending?
Thanks so much!
nkhattri 6 / 33  

However, what truly sparked my interest in Tufts was hearing anecdotes of students' unique experiences while visiting campus.

While visiting the campus, I was truly inspired by the unique anecdotes of current students*.

I want to spend the next four years with professors who lecture outside dressed as pirates and students who build ski jumps on the steepest parts of campus for spontaneous ski sessions.

* I'm eager to spend the next four years with professors who lecture dressed as pirates and students who build ski jumps on the steepest parts of campus for spontaneous ski sessions.

As for the cohesive ending. --- Explain how Tufts could influence/motivate your life overall.

:) Hope this was helpful. Please edit my most recent essay- Common App prompt

Thanks!
Tell them about your intellectual interest. What this is missing is a sentence or two about what makes your interest in biotechnology unique, what sets you apart from the next person with this filed of interest, and how, because of the nature of your unique approach, this particular school is better for you than the next school.

"Why this school?" is a question about what special outcome awaits the world if this particular student gets to go to this particular school.
OP lillyforlunch 2 / 7  
Thank you Kevin and Naveena for your input! :)

Here's my revised version:

Not only is Tufts a great place to pursue my major in biotechnology, I am also drawn to Tufts for the people. On a campus tour this summer, our tour guide shared an anecdote about one of her professors who lectured outdoors dressed as a pirate. That is the kind of creative learning environment I want to be in for the next four years. With an excellent biology department, abundant research opportunities for undergraduates, and a community of imaginative people, I know Tufts is the place for me.

I focus on two main points - Tufts' bio dept. and the people - should I focus on one? Is this clear enough?

Thanks!
Not only is Tufts a great place to pursue my major in biotechnology, but I am also drawn to Tufts for the people.

And this will be even better if you do it like this:

In addition to the fact that Tufts a great place to pursue my major in biotechnology, I am also drawn to Tufts for the people.

I think you should include some evidence to support the notion that it is better than other schools for biotech.

:-)

Home / Undergraduate / major in biotechnology - Why Tufts?