"If you don't get a miracle, become a miracle for someone else"

sophielassonde 1 / -  
Miracle
"If you don't get a miracle, become a miracle for someone else." These words were forever etched into my heart as I sat in awe listening to the inspirational Nick Vujicic. Although he was born with no arms or legs, he has impacted the world in which men with arms can only dream. As for me, I aspire to live a life through Mr. Vujicic's eyes. That is, I want to help people regardless of the difficult circumstances that may come my way. I don't necessarily want to be an inspirational speaker, but there are other means to making an impact in people's lives.

As a naïve middle school student, I used my dad's cancer as an excuse, an easy way to give up. I was confused and upset with God, wondering how He could possibly hurt my family in this way. This was until my dad gave me the best advice I could ever hear. Peacefully, he said, "Sophie, if I survive this, I can use it as a part of my testimony, of how I had faith in God, and persevered." As tears climbed to the edges of my eyes, ready to fall, he finished his statement. "But," he proclaimed, "If I don't survive, it can be your story." At that moment, I awoke with a whole new perspective on life. We can either sit here and wallow in our miseries, or we can do what Jesus did, and turn our pain into power. By the cross our sins can be washed away, our struggles can turn into victories. This is a lesson I hope to share with every person I encounter in my life. We should never let our circumstances be our excuse.

I believe God has called me to use my story as a way to comfort kids and families that have lost all hope. Through the Psychology program at Samford University, I hope to become a social worker or therapist for chronically ill children. It would make my life to know that I made a hospitalized child smile at the thought of a better tomorrow. This faith-based school will help to enhance my optimism and positivity, which will be essential in my future workplace. I also believe the Christian environment will help to grow my faith and strength as a person, enabling my ability to reach out to more lives.

On March 10, 2013, I heard the news no 17 year old girl should ever hear. Cancer won the battle with my daddy. Wondering how I could ever go on without him, his words crossed my mind once again. God didn't give me the miracle I had prayed for but He had something better in mind. So here I am, persevering through the hardships of life, telling my story, and trying to be a miracle for someone else.
admission2012 - / 477 90  
This is a great essay and is completely appropriate for this school and program. The only thing I would advise you to change, aside from a few grammatical errors, would be this sentence "As for me, I aspire to live a life through Mr. Vujicic's eyes." Although you fully explain it, it still comes off as a bit awkward. Try rephrasing it so it is clearer. -Admissions Advice Online

Hope this helps

Home / Undergraduate / "If you don't get a miracle, become a miracle for someone else"