MIT short essay--creativity--sumo robot

xtyxty 3 / 7  
Tell us about a time you used your creativity. This could be something you made, a project that you led, an idea that you came up with, or pretty much anything else. (*) (200-250 words)

Robotics, an engineering field that is highly complicated and formal. The robots on land usually depict the shapes of vehicles or animals. I, as well, followed this stream of ideas, but end up developed my own unique design of a sumo robot. I designed my robot into something extraordinary--a pirate ship. With the ability to sail in the fierce ocean, the stability of ship is unquestionable. Using aluminum sail in front, the originally propeller of the ship becomes its shield and weapon. The sail protect chips, motors, and wires from attack. Unlike other robots, I designed my robot into a girly dancer, just like the infamous Captain Jack, its dancing around in circles abnormally while stab (push) opponents in the back. I named it Jack for its jerky action and funny look. The rotating movement tricks the sonar of opponent and led to the "to and fro" movement. Then, my Jack can rotate to the back and push opponent out of ring. Later in the sumo robot competition, the Jack lost in the second round. Despite of the potential weakness of pushing force and mass, the design of Jack is genius. Everyone is inspired by such extraordinary design of robot and programmed action setting. Since it's an informal match, no one win or lose. I personally awarded myself and Jack the most creative engineer and most hilarious robot.
NeoGeo 5 / 11  
I like the approach you're taking, but I feel that you should focus less on the technical, engineering aspects of the robot, and more on how you "thought outside the box" and why you chose to design your robot in such a unique way.
that first sentence has not verb, no predicate. You could write:
Robotics is a field...

Robots do not depict, but instead "are modeled after vehicles or animals..."

The sumo robot is a cool idea!!

Robotics is a field that usually is quite formal, but it is also a place for creative self-expression. The robots on land usually are modeled after the shapes of vehicles or animals, but I as well, followed this stream of ideas, but end up developed my own unique design of a sumo robot. I also designed a robot as something extraordinary--a pirate ship.

You have a great future awaiting you, I think, in this hi-tech 21st century world.

Home / Undergraduate / MIT short essay--creativity--sumo robot