Home / Undergraduate   % width NEW!

'My move from Canada to the United States' - UW story from your life, describing it

hanna4292 1 / 1  
My move from Canada to the United States is one of the most challenging events that I have experienced in my life. Although I was born in the United States, I moved to Canada at a very early age. There, I lived in a tight-knit neighborhood, had my group of best friends, and loved my school. I was a happy kid.

I was absolutely devastated when my parents abruptly told me we would be moving back to the United States. I had no memory of living there and the thought of leaving my life, in Canada, behind seemed unthinkable. But the move was inevitable and came too soon. My first day of 8th grade and going to a school in a new country was both terrifying and miserable. My once fairly outgoing and bright personality transformed into an introverted and sullen one. Thus, making friends became difficult. I felt consumed by loneliness and it became a constant reminder of my friends back in Canada. As a result, I found myself eating alone at school and spending most of my free time sulking around the house.

The summer before high school, I knew I had to change my attitude. I researched online and found a opportunity to volunteer with a local hospital. It was a special program where young students could experience the inner workings of the medical field. Although I had no specific interest in this field at the time, it was an exciting learning opportunity and turned out to be one of the best summers I had ever spent. The most fundamental moment I had there was when I met a certain female patient at the hospital. She seemed to be around my age, but it was clear she was very ill. My heart felt heavy as I approached her, although I was anxious, I mustered up the courage to start a conversation with her. And before we knew it, we were able to laugh, make jokes, and revel in our mutual love for the Jonas Brothers. Sadly, our conversation had to come to an end, but before I left, my new friend reached out towards me and said "Thanks" as she gave me a warm smile. It was at this moment, I realized that the cure to my misery was people, and the relationships I developed with them. I had not been this happy in a long time.

Meeting my new friend and spending time at the hospital allowed me to realize the significance of people in my life, and how these interactions could change everything. Through meeting my new friend, I was able to gain the confidence to open up to new people and realize how much I needed them in my life. Through this experience, I gained a passion for meeting new people as well as helping them, because of this, I realized that I want to pursue a career in the medical field as a pediatric doctor . Achieving a career where I am able to help others with devotion and compassion has become a dream of mine. Also, this experience has taught me that one's outlook on life affects everything they do. By going to the hospital every day, it made me look forward to each day and transformed my once negative viewpoint to a positive one. It made a huge difference in my encounters from that moment on. Lastly, it has taught me to be proactive; I realized that I would have never been able to have had this experience if I had not gone on my computer that fateful day and discovered this program. Therefore, I now have become very proactive, both in my school life and personal life, by enriching my school life with additional extracurricular activities and volunteer work.

Do you think i need a concluding sentence please let me know thanks?!!!

Home / Undergraduate / 'My move from Canada to the United States' - UW story from your life, describing it