'multicultural atmosphere to explore' - essay to Rutgers

eliand 1 / -  
Required Essay: Rutgers University is a vibrant community of people with a wide variety of backgrounds and experiences. How would you benefit from and contribute to such an environment? Consider variables such as your talents, travels, leadership activities, volunteer services, and cultural experiences. Only personal essays submitted via our website will be considered. You may enter a maximum of 3800 characters including spaces.

Attention Admissions Office,
Open-mindedness is the key to an effective future. Growing up, being surrounded by a diverse set of cultures and ideas contributed to the person I am today. From being raised in[____] New Jersey to moving to the small town of [___] I have always been exposed to an acceptance of different people. My parents were born in El Salvador and Guatemala, they moved to this country so that I could have an opportunity to benefit from an education away from poverty and into a multicultural place. All the obstacles they went through are my motivation to move forward and succeed academically. Along that road to success, I have encountered various people that were far more different than I am and I learned so greatly from them. There were no such things as cliques where I grew up despite different ethnicity or religions.

Rutgers will certainly benefit from the open-mindedness I proudly obtain because in a University of variety the element of acceptance is needed. Being involved in the Drama club of my school, I had to work with multitudinous people in order to pull together a successful play. In acting, you must connect with other actors to make it convincing, no matter how distinct they are from you. I have also been active in my local Hispanic church, where not everyone is Hispanic. My church is filled with various people from other countries whom I have worked with often to create organizations and events. Working with these people has helped me see the beauty in difference. Whenever I see a human committing a prejudice action, I always strongly oppose them and demonstrate how close-mindedness leads to ignorance.

At Rutgers University, the multicultural atmosphere will help me further explore different notions and experiences that I am always open to. I will be surrounded by people who, along with receiving quality education, are intellectually accepting. Since many of my family members have graduated at this fine university, they have always explained the positive energy it has offered. This is exactly why Rutgers is my first choice for my secondary education. I am absolutely big on human acceptance and togetherness. In a competitive society where working with differences and a high education is needed, Rutgers will prepare me for both those requirements and more. If accepted into Rutgers, I will bring even more variety, ambition, and contribute to the great reputation this school has. The first step to intelligence is open-mindedness and I will bring that to the table. Thank you in advance for your consideration of my request.
Guest /  
Remember, colleges see your achievements and activities in your application - talk about YOU, not what they've already seen :) Very good though. Best of luck.

Home / Undergraduate / 'multicultural atmosphere to explore' - essay to Rutgers