"the names of American universities being uttered; global" - Why Northwestern?

siva181 1 / 1  
Would love some feedback on my northwestern essay..

Having lived all around the world, even in my youth, I remember the names of American universities being uttered back and forth by whomever I came across. Northwestern was a name among these although at that the time, I did not understand the prestige this name carried. In August 2010, I decided to visit Evanston, Illinois in order to get a better insight on this university and was overwhelmed by the phenomenal features of Northwestern as a whole. There are a vast number of reasons that justify my application to Northwestern although I can accredit my desire to attend Northwestern based on three main factors.

I, being from an international background, find it of utmost importance that any university that I attend has an array of students from all around the world. This is where Northwestern really calls out to me. I believe that influences from all around the world could add a global aspect to university life. As I have been used to all through my life, I wish to be more open to the different cultures and philosophies rooting from all over the world. In such a globalized modern world, broadening one's perspective of the world as a whole can only be beneficial. My visit to Northwestern opened my eyes to a collection of international clubs and committees as well as a general tendency to integrate with those from other countries. With 41% being international or having international background, I am assured to have the global experience at Northwestern.

The variety of student groups at Northwestern adds an aspect of uniqueness to this university. I believe that it is important for students to learn outside the lecture halls and help each other improve on aspects of life such as leadership and integrity while being integrated with a particular interest or hobby. Being through different education systems, I feel the strong aspects of certain education systems that attracts people from around the world is the ability for a particular system to exhibit means of improving a student as an individual through extra curricular activities. Northwestern displays a wide range of student associations, which ensure that any student has the freedom to follow a passion or pursue an interest in any field.

My dream, as a prospective engineer, is to leave my mark on the world by exhibiting my uniqueness in modern day technology. I have a belief that engineering is vital to the evolvement of modern day technology and the basis of life. The world engineer rooted from the Latin word ingenium, meaning cleverness, verifying that it was not an occupation for just everyday people. At Northwestern, the McCormick School of Engineering is the home of one of the countries finest engineering schools. I would be allowed to follow and listen to the teachings of greatly valued professors while being able to link what I've been though to how I could leave my impression on the world. Probably the most unique aspect of the McCormick School of Engineering is its integration with current day situations and involvement in contemporary issues. A great example would be how the McCormick Center for Energy Efficient Transportation is helping the expansion of green energy. Students are given the opportunity to work with projects that are aiding people all around the world. The knowledge that I can directly impact the world, while studying in university, greatly attracts me to Northwestern.

Any dream university for me would contain three main qualities; exceptional student diversity, incomparable extracurricular program, and a top rated engineering department. Northwestern justifies the reverence from all over the world by adding its own distinctive aspect on how an educational institution must be run. This is why I aspire to be a Wildcat by the fall of 2011.
iamesthere 4 / 15  
I liked your essay! it was well written and your ending was cute. I thought you explained clearly why you wish to attend based upon three reasons. good job!

And:
Some corrections:
1) There are a vast number of reasons that justify my application to Northwestern although I can accredit my desire to attend Northwestern based on three main factors.

You should write: "reasons why I choose to apply to Northwestern" instead, it sounds more clear
2)As I have been used to all through my life
As I have been used to all throuhgout my life
I have a belief that Engineering is vital to the evolvement evolution of modernday technology and the basis of life. The world word "engineer" is rooted fro m the Latin word ingenium, meaning cleverness, verifying that it was not an occupation for just everyday people.

...home of one of the countries country's finest engineering schools. I would be allowed to follow and listen to the teachings of ...

Probably the most unique aspect of the McCormick School of Engineering is its integration with current day situations and involvement in contemporary issues. I don't like this sentence, because I am pretty sure it is not true. It is not unique to involve higher education with practical, real world efforts. Maybe you just need to change "unique" to some other word, like "appealing."

:-)

Home / Undergraduate / "the names of American universities being uttered; global" - Why Northwestern?