Home / Undergraduate   % width NEW!

a new world- a new perspective (the world you come from)

sohab6 2 / 2  
Describe the world you come from - for example, your family, community or school - and tell us how your world has shaped your dreams and aspirations.

My school has been the foundation for my life providing me with challenges as well as solutions, and hardships that came with opportunities to learn. Unfortunately my school's leadership, government and main events are centered around the good looking kids, cheerleaders, and football players, and in a way you can say that my school peers are involved with themselves. But this discovery showed me an oppturnity and a chance to be taken; to make a difference which started with becoming junior class co-vice president. I have come from a school full of chances that have created a passion my passion and dream to with youth in certain circumstances.

Junior year I ran to become vice-president, and I was pretty sure I had no chance of winning since I was not that popular, but I had aspirations to make a difference espically in our school. aside from the fact that being a leader, being part of a team effort was my passion, I had a goal to show students that we can ALL work together and be a part of something big, not just be in separate cliques with your race, level of popularity, or attractiveness. Elections came, and when I ran I got surprisingly lots of support from many different types of kids. Unfortunately I did not win because those groups of diverse kids were very small compared to the rest of the school population. However 60 percent of the election were teacher evaluations and interviews. And I won the advisors over by my support from teachers, and my goal making me co-vice president because they had faith in my goal, therefore giving me a chance to pursue it.

This chance of being a leader that EVERYBODY was going to look up to taught me courage to stand out. But what came out of this? My groups of friends were people from all parts of the school, from different cliques, different personalities and looks. But when I was out on a mission to teach a lesson to my peers, they instead taught me something. They all gave me new and different perspectives on the world, teaching me that people come from different places, and some with circumstantial backgrounds. I met a group of kids, who may seem not approachable, but overtime I learned about the things they did, but I also learned how they are just trying to better themselves.

I was stuck on just creating diversity put into one, but in doing so i never thought I would learn different lives, the places people come, perspectives and most of all kids in circumstantial conditions; such as those who have probation, are fighting an addiction, or have issues at home and just need guidance. And those lessons have driven me into perusing to help different kids from circumstantial backgrounds, shaping my goal into becoming youth advocate or a youth social worker.

Home / Undergraduate / a new world- a new perspective (the world you come from)