Nursing/ It has been always a dream; Unique Characteristics/Why UCF?

grena37 2 / 4 2  
UCF Undergraduate Essay Topics:

What qualities or unique characteristics do you possess that would allow you to contribute to the UCF Community?

When I was a sophomore in high school, I watched a documentary hosted by Diane Sawyer about mother and infant mortality rates in developing countries. The documentary went to great lengths explaining how expecting mothers in certain developing countries were not given the best medical care, being the reasons for such high immortality rates. I was traumatized as I watched a local midwife, in a remote country, squeeze and step on the mother's abdomen to push her baby through the birth canal. Diane Sawyer's narrative was instrumental in shaping my young life. I watched the film to its entirety and began to have a lure towards the healthcare industry, especially towards the field of nursing.

My mother was the first of seven children in her family and had assisted many child deliveries. Naturally, I began asking my mother about her midwifery experiences. Her answers were inspirational to my curiosity in this field. My fascination with nursing propelled my mother to include me in the bi-monthly Take-Your-Daughter-to-Work day program at her job. During these events, I would go to work with my mother and watch what she did. My mother works as a nursing assistant who specializes in taking care of senior citizens and children with autism. She had compassion for them and helped them perform everyday tasks they cannot do on their own. As a result of shadowing my mother, I began exposing myself to the healthcare industry by volunteering at the Tiffany Hall Rehabilitation and Nursing Center. My volunteering job consisted of spending time with an elderly woman named Dottie. She thrived to see me and whenever I came she showered me with candies and chocolates. I loved to help her rearrange her pictures and cards and fix her bed for her. I can still hear her stuttering voice say "No, no, no, no put it over there, put it over there."

The horrific scenes of Diane Sawyer's documentary, my mom's midwifery experiences, the trips to Take-Your-Daughter-to-Work day, and my trips to Tiffany Hall were all influential in my decision to becoming a nurse. I want to help people when they can't help themselves and I want to watch life forming before my eyes.

What I will offer to this school is my devotion to learning, my support in new technologies in the healthcare industries, my helping hand in community outreaches, and my passion of nursing. The University of Central Florida (UCF) will be the fuel to my passion of the healthcare industry. This fuel will support my zeal with excellent work study programs, clinical environments, and community outreaches. My passion will turn into a self sustaining fire to successfully completing my nursing degree.

Why did you choose to apply to UCF?

The University of Central Florida (UCF) community consists of excellent work study programs for federal aid students who are qualified. As a prospective federal student aid recipient, I plan to invest my time engaging into work studies programs that are relevant to my nursing interests. In addition to work studies, the UCF nursing department has an exceptional community service outreach program, for interested students who want to contribute in the area of healthcare as interns in clinical environments. There are numerous opportunities at UCF that I won't have at any other colleges, such as, going on medical mission trips to disadvantaged countries like the Dominican Republic. It's been a dream of mine to be a part of a worldwide medical revolution and there is no other university I would want to be seen with doing so.
best medical treatments, thus the reasons why for a high mortality rate.

...best medical care and what are the reasons for such high mortality rates

Diane Sawyer's narrative reshaped my young life and having watched the film to its entirety, I began to have a lure toward the healthcare industry, and primarily in the nursing sector.

Diane Sawyer's narrative was instrumental in shaping my young life; I watched the film to its entirety and began to have a lure towards the healthcare industry, especially towards the field of nursing.

My mother was the first of seven children in her family and had been a witness and assistant toassistedmany with their child deliveriesbirths .

I began asking my mother questions about her birthingmidwifery experiences.

... "midwife" is the person who assists women in their confinements.
OP grena37 2 / 4 2  
Thank you a million times! I have been taking your advice and I thank you for your compliments! I really needed it! You've helped me thoroughly with two of my essay drafts thanks so much Didgeridoo!
Didgeridoo - / 306 191  
It was my pleasure!
Didgeridoo - / 306 191  
I really liked some of the little changes you've made, like the one comment about the midwife (It scares me that terrible things like that still happen!), and apart from a few minor grammar things, it's great!

Home / Undergraduate / Nursing/ It has been always a dream; Unique Characteristics/Why UCF?