NYU Supplements: spend one day with a famous New Yorker - F. Scott Fitzgerald

jubajum 2 / 4  
Hey thanks to anyone who's willing to read this. Criticism and thoughts are well appreciated

If you had the opportunity to spend one day in New York City with a famous New Yorker, who would it be and what would you do? (Your New Yorker can be anyone -past or present, fictional or nonfictional - who is commonly associated with New York City; they do not necessarily have to have been born and raised in New York.)

F. Scott Fitzgerald, author of The Great Gatsby

Although spending the day in current New York would be amazing, I would forever treasure the opportunity to travel back to the roaring twenties and personally experience grand carefree lifestyles Fitzgerald eloquently portrays in his novel. In one day, I would experience the carefree lavish lifestyle as well as discuss with Fitzgerald his ability to capture the entire essence of a decade--prohibition, eugenics, evolving role of women, and the rise of industrialism--all in less than 200 pages.

Write a haiku, limerick, or short (eight lines or less) poem that best represents you.

No ideas yet

In the year 2050, a movie is being made of your life. Please tell us the name of your movie and briefly summarize the story line.

Irishino:Irish+Filipino The movie follows a girl born from parents both coming from historically rich cultures, yet identifying with none. From students recognizing her as Mexican to the endless array of boxes she must check to identify her race, Irishino reflects the ongoing racial issues in America by the constant uses of ideological hegemony by capitalism and white supremacy to dissociate from who you are to become who they want you to be. Ultimately, alluding to an America without race.

Please tell us what led you to select your anticipated academic program and/or NYU school/college, and what interests you most about your intended discipline.

I intend to study Sociology in the College of Arts and Science. Situated at the heart of one of the greatest cities in the entire world, I believe NYU is the best place to learn how social interactions and structures shape society.
vincentcanlas 6 / 22  
I would experience the carefree lavish lifestyle as well as discuss with Fitzgerald his ability to capture the entire essence of a decade--prohibition, eugenics, evolving role of women, and the rise of industrialism--all in less than 200 pages.

I would suggest lessen on the HISTORY part and look forward to what you really want to do with him and experience. :) Just a suggestion though.

I would suggest that you should expound on this if you have characters left. This will reflect on what you really want to do.

Pretty good summary. I would really suggest you go into depth about your background more -- because in the end, that's the title of the movie. What do you think?

If you have time, I would appreciate feedbacks on mine
davidgoes 5 / 13  
For your new yorker essay, try fitting in something about new york in the twenties, but I enjoyed the content

Heres a start for your Haiku, or poem, brainstorm ideas about your future career, personality, and your activities and go from there

Try to develop the plot of your movie more, it sounds too general, come up with maybe a specific conflict

This does not answer the prompt, you are just describing nyu, tell them why you want to major in the arts and sciences, what interests you about it, not what interests you about nyu.

Overall its a good start

Please read my nyu one and standford and leave feedback!
collegecrazy 3 / 8  
Your response about Fitzgerald is good, but maybe be more specific about what you would do and where you would go as well as what you'd talk about. Also try to make it say more about you, maybe how Fitzgerald's beliefs reflect your own or why you believe he is such an important person in history.

I think your movie is really interesting. I am Filipino and I, too, have been mistaken as Mexican.

I agree that your "why NYU" essay is very undeveloped. Talk about what specifically interests you in sociology and what exactly NYU has to offer that other universities do not.

I would appreciate it if you could look at my NYU prompts as well, thanks!

Home / Undergraduate / NYU Supplements: spend one day with a famous New Yorker - F. Scott Fitzgerald