'openness of the students' - My Why Northwestern Essay - Not sure if it's too generic?

patels2 1 / 1  
What are the unique qualities of Northwestern - and of the specific undergraduate school(s) to which you are applying - that make you want to attend the University? In what ways do you hope to take advantage of the qualities you have identified? (300 words)

While visiting Northwestern, I was struck by the openness of the students. It was a bitter, cold day, and students were more than willing to help me navigate the campus and tell me where I could get the best hot chocolate.The welcoming student body me feel right at home.

Northwestern has many opportunities to help me achieve my goal of becoming a physician. At Northwestern, I'd join health education organizations such as the Community Health Corps, the Northwestern Emergency Medicine Organization and the Peerhealth exchange. I'd use the skills I have developed as a lead safety ambassador to increase the outreach of such clubs.

I'm interested in practicing in underserved areas and want to be involved in global outreach programs. While shadowing doctors in rural India, I witnessed the impact healtcare can have and I'd like to make a difference on a larger scale. I'd take part in Northwestern's Globalmed program in Uganda and aid the University's involvement in Project RISHI. Working with such organizations would allow me to become a more culturally conscious student and doctor.

Physicians must have a strong foundation in the sciences, and the many research projects at Northwestern would help me comprehend the underpinnings of biology and chemistry. I'd like to continue my work with the Waksman DNA Program by performing research in the NU Bioscientist research preparatory program. I'd like to research the molecular biology behind genetic disorders and look into possible treatments or diagnoses. Working with faculty such as Dr. Peter Kopp, whose work with endocrinological disorders fascinates me, would build a strong foundation for the rest of my medical career.

Attending Northwestern would be a huge stepping stone towards my future career and I would be honored to be able to take that step.
tylersu - / 2 2  
I like it! I really get a sense of what you will pursue if admitted into Northwestern.

However, there is nothing that really catches my attention and yes it is a little too generic. From a few of the "why X" essays I've seen from friends, there is more of a personal connection. It sounds too much like you googled these facts 15 minutes before putting the essay together.

I suggest looking up Northwestern on Google Maps actually, and utilizing the "street view" option. Look around, notice what makes Northwestern unique. Make the adcoms feel like they can see you on campus!

I also suggest looking up student reviews online. They reveal a lot about a school that a website can't - the culture, traditions, "it" spots and the best programs and professors. I think a slightly different and more personal direction combined with the great information you already know will knock their socks off!
Kisakina 4 / 16 4  
I do agree with tylersu; it seems a bit generic, especially at the beginning. I really like how you mentioned the "open" atmosphere at Northwestern; I suggest you expand on that, since that part makes your connection to Northwestern a personal one. How would you contribute to the "open" atmosphere?
mzhang 2 / 9 2  
I really like how you mention the specific programs and research opportunities you would take advantage of and how you go a step more to say how you would contribute to those programs. You touch a little bit of "why" Northwestern by talking about the community and environment but maybe consider adding why you think Northwestern is the ideal college for you to pursue your goals. A lot of colleges can offer you health education organizations and research opportunities, but what about Northwestern is different from all those other colleges?

Also this is just a nitty gritty thing but the last sentence of your first paragraph: "The welcoming student body me feel right at home."is missing a verb that would complete the sentence: "...made me feel right at home".

Best of luck with everything and good job!

Home / Undergraduate / 'openness of the students' - My Why Northwestern Essay - Not sure if it's too generic?