Outside learning opportunities/ McCormick School; Northwestern Sup/ Uniquness?

bah95 1 / -  
What are the unique qualities of Northwestern - and of the specific undergraduate school to which you are applying - that make you want to attend the University? In what ways do you hope to take advantage of the qualities you have identified?

Northwestern stands out as a school I would like to attend because of the outside learning opportunities it offers, and its engineering program is one of the best in the nation. I believe that Northwestern will prepare me like few other schools can, in an environment that suits me. The campus is one the most beautiful that I have seen, Northwestern embraces its relationship with and proximity to Chicago and, with a little over eight thousand students, I believe that Northwestern is the perfect size school for me.

Northwestern and the McCormick School specifically are a perfect match for me. Northwestern's "Engineering First" approach to teaching aspiring engineers is something I would very much enjoy. Getting a broader understanding of the fundamentals of engineering allows someone like me, who is split on whether to go into chemical or mechanical engineering, to give the decision more time and get a better feel for each discipline. I am looking forward to the hands-on engineering experience, the small classes, and the opportunity to work to solve the world's problems. Helping people is very important to me. I strongly believe that one of the best methods of helping the world is to create new ways to solve global problems. McCormick emphasizes this philosophy to all of its students, and I want to be part of that commitment.

Looking over the course work that Engineering First requires, I feel confident that I am more than prepared to take full advantage of the program, as I realized that for most of my first year at Northwestern, I would be working with MATLAB. In my On-Line Engineering, we just finished a semester working with and familiarizing ourselves with MATLAB, and my familiarity with MATLAB would very advantageous as it would allow me to focus more energy on the harder concepts of engineering, rather than the format of writing or executing a script. My engineering class has also helped me confirm that engineering is the field I want to go into and gave me experience that will be valuable latter on. Because of my engineering class, the transition into Engineering First will be much smoother and I will go in ready to succeed. Engineering First will also help me solidify my decision on the specific direction I want to take my engineering education. McCormick's goal of solving worldly problems is something I greatly look forward to being a part of and will only be the start of my attempts to improve the world.
texo 1 / 5 1  

these sentences are run-on, perhaps consider:
Northwestern stands out to me as a school because of the outside learning opportunities it offers. (it's a little unclear as to what you mean by "outside" learning opportunities) With its exceptional engineering program, Northwestern will prepare me like few other schools can, in an environment that suits me. Northwestern's campus encompasses the urban livelihood of Chicago and a midsize student body which align with my idea of an ideal setting for my post-secondary learning experience. (I wasn't too sure what you meant by Northwestern embracing its relationship with Chicago)

Looking over the course work that Engineering First requires, I feel confident that I am more than prepared to take full advantage of the program, as I realized that for most of my first year at Northwestern, I would be working with MATLAB. In my On-Line Engineering, we just finished a semester working with and familiarizing ourselves with MATLAB, and my familiarity with MATLAB would bevery advantageous as it would allow me to focus more energy on the harder concepts of engineering, rather than the format of writing or executing a script. My engineering class has also helped me confirm that engineering is the field I want to go into and gave me experience that will be valuable latterlater on. Because of my engineering class, the transition into Engineering First will be much smoother and I will go in ready to succeed. Engineering First will also help me solidify my decision on the specific direction I want to take my engineering education. McCormick's goal of solving worldly problems is something I greatly look forward to being a part of and will only be the start of my attempts to improve the world.

It seems that the only aspects of Northwestern that attracted you were their teaching philosophy and use of software, the other things mentioned such as class size and "hands-on" experience could really be applied to any university. Is there anything at Northwestern that would give you /more/ hands on experience than other schools? Like some sort of special program/internship opportunity?

Please take a look at my common app short answer too please :)

Home / Undergraduate / Outside learning opportunities/ McCormick School; Northwestern Sup/ Uniquness?