McCormick School of Engineering's NORTHWESTERN SUPPLEMENT: UNIQUE QUALITIES

Kristoria 3 / 51 1  
Need some quick responses on this supplement as I am trying to send it off ASAP. Any constructive criticism will be greatly appreciated.

Northwestern Statement: What are the unique qualities of Northwestern - and of the specific undergraduate school to which you are applying - that make you want to attend the University? In what ways do you hope to take advantage of the qualities you have identified? (250 words)

Clicking link after link, I searched desperately to find the right school where I would be able to enjoy spending the next four years of my life. My search ended the moment I found Northwestern's website. My imagination went off at the idea of relaxing at the university's private beach in front of the beautiful Lake Michigan to painting artistic masterpieces on The Rock and participating in a variety of activities such as the Dance Marathon. I can see myself enjoying the school's fantastic sports teams and I hope to bring the sport of cricket to this institution. These qualities, combined with the diverse student population dispersed throughout the residential colleges and its location close to the city of Chicago, made selecting Northwestern an easy choice as an international student.

More importantly, Northwestern's programs are expertly designed to prepare its students for the world beyond university. An electrical engineer who visited my school once said to me that communication and working with people are important in the field of engineering. The Design Thinking and Communication Course will aid me with developing these skills as it integrates collaborative work and communication skills in a group setting to solve problems. The chance at working on projects submitted by real clients will be a great experience that most universities do not offer. Northwestern is a school that is highly ranked in both Industrial Engineering and Communication. There is nowhere else where can I find such a stellar combination to equip me with a high quality education from both fields.

McCormick School of Engineering's co-op and internship programs will give me invaluable work experience. Acquiring this experience will be crucial in preparing for life after university and I intend to use these programs to display my ability to companies. Therefore, these programs are a stepping stone towards getting a foothold in the working world. McCormick School of Engineering's focus on exposing its undergraduate students to engineering at an early stage appeals to my pragmatic nature. These unique qualities make Northwestern pop out from just being another top school on a list, to a place where I would truly enjoy learning as a Wildcat.
kishorbhandari 1 / 7 4  
The chance at working on projects submitted b

the chance of working on projects.
im4 1 / 2  
[i][Kristoria
There is nowhere else where can I find such a stellar combination to equip me with a high quality education from both fields.

I think it should be,"There is nowhere else I can find such....

besides that, I think your work is good
OP Kristoria 3 / 51 1  
OK, thanks for the comments. If there is anything else you would like to point out feel free to do so.
nimroz93 1 / 3 1  
Kristoria
hese unique qualities make Northwestern pop out from just being another top school on a list, to a place where I would truly enjoy learning as a Wildcat

revised to
The unique qualities offered at the Northwestern make it the perfect fit for me, I would be honored to be a Wildcat.

This is my recommendation for an ending but in general I really enjoyed your essay. It was fabulous.
MyNameIsSlimS 2 / 2  
McCormick School of Engineering's co-op and internship programs will give me invaluable work experience. Acquiring this experience will be crucial in preparing for life after university and I intend to use these programs to display my ability to companies.

I found this part kind of generic. I understand that you are interested in the McCormick School of Engineering, but how do the programs affect you? Why are they crucial? It seems generic/obvious to say that a college's programs will prepare for life.

Other than that, the essay is great. I don't see any major grammatical errors. However, you are about 100 words over the limit. If you revise it, I'd be glad to look at it again.
Shilay 5 / 12 1  
I agree with MyNameIsSlimS that that fragment is too generic, especially when the rest of you essay is very specific for Northwestern.
Your language is woderfull and admission committee will definitely enjoy reading it, however usually it is more effective to begin with academic features of the university, not with the community attributes. Also your first sentence may sound a little bit cliche for a person, who reads hundreds of essays during admission circle - but you can take a risk and give it a try, it is not that important. Good luck! :)

Home / Undergraduate / McCormick School of Engineering's NORTHWESTERN SUPPLEMENT: UNIQUE QUALITIES