Parsons Admission Essay - What influenced me to want to get into graphic design

podkin 1 / 2  
Write a one-page statement describing the events and ideas that led to your interest in the major (graphic design) stated on your application form.

Ever since I was a little boy, I have been intrigued by art. My father was a youth ministry pastor that used a different approach when preaching to us kids. He would draw pictures on giant easel pads to grab our attention and to communicate to us better. I always thought it was really cool to use pictures to explain stories from the Bible. I learned that talking or reading wasn't the only way to convey a message. My interest in visual art began when I realized you could use illustrations to say anything.

When I was a little older, I asked my dad if I could help him. I received my first art lesson from him by learning how to color. For example, I learned where to draw shadows depending on where the sun was. During his sermon, I remember looking around in nervous excitement trying to figure out the reactions of those around me. I felt really proud seeing something I helped create displayed to everyone. This moment made me want to do something creative with my life.

In high school I decided to try a computer graphics class. I enjoyed the class so much that I started a website to gain more experience working with graphic design. Working on the site was a great opportunity to learn about Photoshop and the Internet. I came upon online tutorials and learned about the individual tools in Photoshop and how to make certain effects. I even had a chance to impress my computer graphics teacher with something I learned out of class. This experience not only gave me valuable knowledge, but also strengthened my interest in graphic design.

Although my plans changed and I ended up graduating with an economics degree, I never stopped using Photoshop, even though by now I knew Photoshop 5.5 was just too ancient and outdated. My old church friends all remember my dad and his drawings. Even though my dad no longer draws pictures, I will always remember his illustrations and how he inspired and instilled an appreciation for art in me. It was my dad who got me thinking about art school in the first place by discreetly putting brochures in my room.

It's 5:30 AM and I'm not sure what to think. I'm afraid that it's too short.. or it sounds too weird. Hopefully by the time I wake up, I'll have my head on straight.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!
Athena - / 83 3  
Hi,

I like your approach to the essay and do feel that it is a wonderful way to describe your interest in graphic designing. I just edited a couple of grammatical errors which I found.

My father was a youth ministry pastor that who used a different approach when (im not sure but won't it be 'while' instead of when?) preaching to us kids.

...attention and to communicate to with us better

Maybe u could put this sentence as the opening sentence to your essay : My interest in visual art began when I realized you could use illustrations to say anything.

Great Essay! All the best :)
OP podkin 1 / 2  
Thank you so much!!
mimi305 1 / 11  
I love it ! I really do ! I love the end ; It made me smile !
Well I see that Athena had edited all the mistakes !

nice work ! god luck
mimi305 1 / 11  
Please podkin can you give me your opinion about mine ?

Home / Undergraduate / Parsons Admission Essay - What influenced me to want to get into graphic design