How will participating Honors Program help you reach your academic and professional aims?

zackmartinez 1 / -  

Practical engineering

Throughout high school I was always fascinated with biology, physics, and chemistry; but I found the research projects associated with the fields to be too theoretical. I figure out that engineering is great because, I can pursue research on two fronts - at the level of basic science and fundamental research and at the level of clinical application. The knowledge in science courses could be combined with engineering to design products and equipment useful for healthcare and to improve patient's lives. It is for this reason that I choose to enter into biomedical engineering. Like any medical field, biomedical engineering is extremely competitive; therefore it is important to distinguish myself throughout my degree program. It is for this reason that I have chosen to apply to the engineering honors program.

My ultimate goal, after completion of my degree, is to either become a pharmacist or to continue working in the medical field as an engineer. In order to gain experience in the medical field, I have volunteered in the post-operative unit. In this position I assist staff with both administrative work and also have some involvement with stable patients. I am also an academic mentor which has allowed me the opportunity to improve my communication skills, which I believe will be essential to my success in the medical field.

Besides these experiences, I understand that to be successful in my career goals I need to excel academically. I feel that the honors engineering program will provide me with the opportunity to excel through challenging and useful coursework. Personally, I tend to thrive in an environment where I am challenged, and I believe that this program will provide me with an environment which will give me the best chance for academic success. I would enjoy spending my time with other honors students who understand the significance of studying while still maintaining a good social life on our campus. As well, this program will provide me with the best college experiences and opportunities in research, international study, scholarship, service, and experiential learning, that I would otherwise not have the chance to experience. Overall, I believe that acceptance in the honors engineering program will greatly help me in my future career aspirations. Because of my personal drive and previous academic and community experience I believe I would be an excellent fit for this prestigious program.
Zack, the last paragraph in the essay should be kept intact and used to close the revised version of your essay. The first two paragraphs do not accurately reflect the academic and professional benefits that you can gain from being a part of the Honor's Program. Try to write an opening statement that explains your motivation to succeed. If you were a high school Honor Student, then explain the Honor's Program as a continuation of your desire to receive topnotch academic training that will challenge you on a daily basis. Explain how you thrive on academic challenges how that makes the Honor's Program the logical next step for you in college. Delve on the specialized classes and training, maybe even go so far as to make reference to the Honor's Housing, as reasons why you will be able to better excel academically under the program.

As for the professional aspect. You have to choose one career to represent in the essay. The one that would benefit the most from an Honor's Program recognition in your diploma and your resume. I think that would be as an Engineer. Rather than explaining your current accomplishments in the medical field as a volunteer, you have to look forward to when you have graduated, are applying for a job at the hospital, or pursuing additional academic training in relation to your chosen profession. All of the responses you provide need to be forward looking, not past, not present, just keep moving forward in terms of your responses.

Home / Undergraduate / How will participating Honors Program help you reach your academic and professional aims?