Home / Undergraduate   % width NEW!

past year of school - admission essay

dlvspw08 1 / -  
"In this past year of high school, many things have taken place and they have changed me for the better. As an example, I was nominated by my senior class to participate in our annual beauty pageant. My nomination was a HUGE surprise since I have been known to be shy and never wanting to direct attention to myself in anyway! This was very much my worst but oh so amazing nightmare. I was given the option of dropping my spot and giving it to the second runner up but something in me said, "I can do this!" During the week of practice I looked around at all the girls; they all seemed so confident and excited about Saturday night, the night I wished would never come. Saturday night came and I walked on stage. As I walked around twisting and twirling in my black dress, my cheeks and chin quivering I felt this overwhelming feeling of relaxation. I could not feel myself walking and my mind was quiet. I could not see anyone in the audience and all I heard was the mumble of the announcer reading my essay. I walked off the stage in awe of God's power. I remember praying weeks and weeks before the pageant that God would take my fear away and give me the strength and confidence to walk out on stage. What I felt that night was God carrying me through my fear. With God anything is possible and I feel I can overcome any fear or uncertainty. I did not win the pageant but I instead found me.

Since then I have moved from Mississippi to Florida, to pursue my dream of going to the University of Florida. Leaving everyone and everything I have ever known behind was truly difficult, especially not knowing the outcome of my application. I have always believed that everyone has a purpose in life and that no one is ever sure of what their purpose is. I believe mine is at the University of Florida. I have this drive in me that has been there since I can remember, steering me towards UF. To think back to tenth grade and how all I wanted was to get out of high school and go to the University of Florida. And now, though I have hit a few bumps along the way, I am finally here at the moment I have dreamed about for so long."

Home / Undergraduate / past year of school - admission essay