"piano wasn't really my idea of fun" - Common App

mikeypz1993 2 / 7  
I began playing piano when I was about six years old. At first, piano wasn't really my idea of fun; it was something my parents wanted me to do. In short, piano was once just a chore to me. However, the more familiar I became with the instrument, the more I appreciated it. I loved that the music could feel so real and close, almost tangible. Rapid staccatos bringing life to a string of eighth-notes, then peaceful legatos mellowing out the tone; these beautiful combinations made it easy to appreciate piano.

But, to me, the most profound aspect about playing the piano lies in my freedom to interpret the music. Nothing can keep me from choosing to play an "angry" song serenely. This unique voice that I find in playing the piano is what transforms those ordinary black and white keys into my personal tools of expression.

---

Let me know if you want me to read over you guys' essays too!
I'd be more than happy to!

And if you guys wouldn't mind, check out my other common app essay please :)
I began playing the piano when I was about six years old.

I loved that the music could feel so real and so close, almost tangible. I love this sentence!

Rapid staccatos bringing life to a string of eighth-notes, then peaceful legatos mellowing out the tone; these beautiful combinations made it easy to appreciate piano.

You're very good at expressing yourself with words, too. Good luck in school and have fun.

:)

---
OP mikeypz1993 2 / 7  
Susan, thank you very much for the quick reply and for proofreading! :)

Home / Undergraduate / "piano wasn't really my idea of fun" - Common App