'playing with legos' - Pratt Institute Architecture Essay

fonzie22 1 / -  
December 25, 1999,: the unofficial start to my career in architecture. I've seen the home movies from this day a million times, and every time I watch it I notice the same thing. It was one of the first presents I had opened and it didn't seem to be anything special, just a tiny wrapped box with my name on it. I opened it up and my face lit up immediately. This small gift was a box of Legos, but for me, it was the start of my life in architecture. This little box of building blocks was more important to me than any other present underneath the Christmas tree on that day and for many years to come.

For as far back as I can remember, I could always be found playing with legos. As a little kid I had no clue that these legos would be the key to my future, but looking back on those days, I now can understand why I am so interested in architecture. I would be in the playroom at all hours of the day, sitting on the floor with my bins full of legos, just building. I'd make houses, buildings, cars, towns, cities; you name it and I'd built it. As a child nothing stands in your way of building whatever you want, you can be as creative as you want and in the end you were always happy with your work. To this day I love being able to experiment with different design techniques, in hopes of creating a new architectural style to add my name to the list of famous architects. As I grew up I can still remember having my friends over and spending days and nights just building with the legos. Without realizing it I had submersed myself into a life of architecture from such a young age.

Still, to this day I can still be found building and designing houses, buildings, and anything else under the sun. I am an avid member in many clubs at my school, and one such club is yearbook club. It is my job as editor-in-chief to design the yearbook from cover to cover. This contributes to my architectural mind frame because I am using design principals to make the yearbook flow from page to page and to make it look beautiful, so people can cherish it throughout their lives. Another activity that I take part in at my school is building and designing the floats for my town's homecoming parade. Since my freshman year of high school I have been involved in Odyssey of the Mind, which has allowed me to design scenery and props for performances on regional, state, and national levels. At the same time I have taken architecture classes at my high school, which have shown me that I am willing and excited to pursue a career in architecture. Architecture has always been a part of my life, but it hasn't been until recently that I have noticed and accepted it. With the help of Pratt Institute I know I will be able to go out into the world and contribute to the architecture community.

I need help! Its over 500 words and I need advice on what to keep and what to take out! Thank you for your help :)
It was one of the first presents I had opened, and it didn't seem to be anything special, just a tiny wrapped box with my name on it.

I opened it up and my face lit up immediately.

I'd make houses, buildings, cars, towns, cities; you name it, I'd built it.

As a child, nothing stands in your way of building whatever you want, you can be as creative as you want and in the end you were always happy with your work.---This sentence could be left out if you have to cut the essay down a little.

To this day, I love being able to experiment...

As I grew up I can still remember having my friends over and spending days and nights just building with the legos. Without realizing it I had submersed myself into a life of architecture from such a young age. ---This could also be cut.

Since my freshman year of high school, I have been involved in Odyssey of the Mind, which has allowed me to design scenery and props for performances on regional, state, and national levels.

Good luck with school and have fun!

:)
kadampoo 1 / 4  
December 25, 1999: the unofficial start to my career in architecture. I've seen the home movies from this day a million times, and every time I watch it I notice the same thing. It was one of the first presents I had opened, and it didn't seem to be anything special, just a tiny wrapped box with my name on it. I opened it up, and my face lit up immediately. This small gift was a box of Legos, but for me, it was the start of my life in architecture. This little box of building blocks was more important to me than any other present underneath the Christmas tree on that day and for many years to come.

For as far back as I can remember, I could always be found playing with legos. As a little kid I had no clue that these legos would be the key to my future, but looking back on those days, I now can understand why I am so interested in architecture. I would be in the playroom at all hours of the day, sitting on the floor with my bins full of legos, just building. I'd make houses, buildings, cars, towns, cities; you name it, and I'd built it. As a child nothing stands in your way of building whatever you want, you can be as creative as you want and in the end, you were always happy with your work. To this day, I love being able to experiment with different design techniques, in hopes of creating a new architectural style to add my name to the list of famous architects. As I grew up I can still remember having my friends over and spending days and nights just building with the legos. Without realizing it, I had submersed myself into a life of architecture from such a young age.

Still, to this day I can still (remove 1 of the still words) be found building and designing houses, buildings, and anything else under the sun. I am an avid member in many clubs at my school, and one such club is the yearbook club. It is my job as editor-in-chief to design the yearbook from cover to cover. This contributes to my architectural mind frame because I am using design principals to make the yearbook flow from page to page and to make it look beautiful, so people can cherish it throughout their lives. Another activity that I take part in at my school is building and designing the floats for my town's homecoming parade. Since my freshman year of high school, I have been involved in Odyssey of the Mind, which has allowed me to design scenery and props for performances on regional, state, and national levels. At the same time (replace by simultaneously or meantime) I have taken architecture classes at my high school, which have shown me that I am willing and excited to pursue a career in architecture. Architecture has always been a part of my life, but it hasn't been until recently that I have noticed and accepted it. With the help of Pratt Institute I know I will be able to go out into the world and contribute to the architecture community.

You can remove 1 or more sentences from your introduction about legos. Maybe the 1st sentence of paragraph two

Home / Undergraduate / 'playing with legos' - Pratt Institute Architecture Essay