'potential of the liberal' - Bates Supplement Response

weima 1 / 2  
Any help and feedback would be greatly appreciated! Thank you!

Prompt:
In addition to the Common Application essay, please select one phrase from the Bates mission statement below and comment on how it inspires you and draws you to Bates (1-2 paragraphs).

Since 1855, Bates College has been dedicated to the emancipating potential of the liberal arts. Bates educates the whole person through creative and rigorous scholarship in a collaborative residential community. With ardor and devotion - Amore ac Studio - we engage the transformative power of our differences, cultivating intellectual discovery and informed civic action. Preparing leaders sustained by a love of learning and a commitment to responsible stewardship of the wider world, Bates is a college for coming times.

arts."

My RESPONSE
"Since 1855, Bates College has been dedicated to the emancipating potential of the liberal
My parents always tell me to follow my heart. Yet, in the past twelve years of education, I have learned nothing but the basics. When I read the statement above, I realize that my true potential was never fully recognized. I want to learn more than single-variable calculus or basic fundamentals of thermodynamic. I want to follow my heart, to release my potential to create a future that, not only would benefit myself, but also help others. Some say that I am not smart enough to cure cancer or reverse Huntington's disease; but I know I can if I were given the opportunity.

Bates' mission statement, "emancipating potential", directly answers my yearning. I realize now that schooling should not only mechanical module to indoctrinate knowledge, but should also act as motivating source that would allow me to reach my maximum capability. This is why I am convinced that Bates is the right school for me.
"Since 1855, Bates College has been dedicated to the emancipating potential of the liberal arts"

My parents always tell me to follow my heart.------------------ The quoted statement favours liberal thinking. So I feel it's better that you show them you too are a liberal thinker rather than acting on advice of others. Why not say;

I always wanted to follow my heart.

GOOD LUCK!!
abnk599 2 / 4  
Applying to Bates as well.
Actually, I think you should write more about advantages of liberal arts colleges if applying to one, especially as an answer to the sentece you've chosen ;)

Home / Undergraduate / 'potential of the liberal' - Bates Supplement Response