'pre-established connection with GWU' - Why GWU essay

need_advice 6 / 21  
WHAT MOST INFLUENCED YOU TO APPLY TO GWU?
"The George Washington University Named One of the Top 25 "Best Neighbor" Colleges and Universities". During the fall of 2009, this bold headline caught my attention and spurred my curiosity. I believe that everything happens for a reason, and I knew there had to be a reason why that particular headline flashed in my mind like a neon "OPEN" sign. Upon stumbling across this article during my sophomore year in high school, I began to looking into GWU more closely. This was the beginning of my link to GWU that lead me to this application today.

A strong, pre-established connection with GWU is the greatest influential factor in my decision to apply. As previously stated, the connection began with simple headline that drove me to research the university and what it had to offer. What I discovered was the university's unique ability to get people to where they want to be. Students arrive with rudimentary knowledge and depart with key success skills, internships, careers, and greater goals. More importantly, GWU offers an array of opportunities that no other college can match. The most obvious factor plays into the fact that GWU is located in the epi-center of the world's greatest superpower. The location is ideal for students craving in contact to political and governmental personalities. There is not much more an aspiring professional like myself can ask for. Access to some of the most influential people and organizations are located at students' fingertips through The White House, Department of Homeland Security, Pentagon, Capital Building, and the U.S. Department of the Treasury- just to name a few.

My connection with GWU was further strengthened by the reviews of a current student as well as childhood friend of mine, Aarti. I remember her face beaming with excitement when she received admission into the school of her dreams. On that day, I asked her the same question that I am essentially answering now: Why GWU? She described the university as the absolute ideal place to begin life's forthcoming chapter. I soon realized that entry into this university meant a great deal more than that. Attending GWU would set me onto a golden trail unlike the cobblestone paths offered by other colleges. There simply is no plausible comparison. I can work towards a degree in any of the thousands of universities nationwide, however the decision I am making is one that will set me up for a bright future even after college. I know far too many people who are solely interested in the "fun college experience" as opposed to the significance of the bigger picture. My goal is to get the absolute best post-secondary education that will bring me out on top. I know that I can offer GWU just as much as the university has to offer me by taking full advantage of the opportunities around me and meeting the highest levels of success. I want to acquire the skills and experience needed not only to establish a career for myself, but to be the best at what I do. All factors considered, GWU will undoubtedly get me to where I need to be.
emptythoughts 2 / 3  
The first sentence of your essay is a little confusing. You start of with a quote without first explaining it. I think your introduction will "flow" more if you incorporate the quote into the sentence.. "During the fall of 2009, this bold headline caught my attention and spurred my curiosity."

Also, I think your essay would much better if you incorporated more personal reasons as to what influenced you to apply this college (like you did in the last paragraph.)

I wrote college admission statements last year and was told that colleges usually want to learn more about a particular student rather then just reading about the "highlights" of that college.

Best of luck!

-Katherine
OP need_advice 6 / 21  
Thanks so much for your help Katherine!

Home / Undergraduate / 'pre-established connection with GWU' - Why GWU essay