"no prominent male figure in my life" UC application - my family, community, world

dcizek 1 / -  
Describe the world you come from - for example, your family, community or school - and tell us how your world has shaped your dreams and aspirations.

I hail from a world of wizards, dragons, fantastic beings of light, and a host of other magical creatures. This world is remarkably lucid in regards to the concepts of justice, honesty, and prudence. It is the world of the real ensconced in a comfortable bed of fantasies which find their outlet through the mediums of television, movies, theaters, games, and, most pivotally, through literature. Through these expressions of human thought and talent I have gained multitudinous insights about myself and my place in the world at large. Of course, such an emphasis on fantasy in not to be taken without a grain of salt. Therefore, I shall here endeavor to elucidate the mystery of my interest in the worlds that are not and, following that, make known the direct effect that these worlds have had upon my life.

I was born under the Christian name, ..., to a mother who was reeling with the loss of her murdered husband and was additionally beginning a financial struggle which has lasted these seventeen years of my life. I have had no prominent male figure in my life, I abandoned all religion at an early age after giving much serious thought to the matter, I have learned to ignore my pains, and I am free of the burdensome and consuming need for superfluous material goods. I am, in short, a young man who has lived in a sub perfect environment and learned to deal with hardship as it may come. In spite of my occasionally deplorable worldly trappings, I am supremely gifted with an optimistic spirit and an indefatigable sense of the good in life. I owe these traits in large parts to an exceedingly benevolent upbringing and the excellent education I have received. Yet, neither could provide me with what I desired most; a father and a sense of a world that is consistent, just, and honest. In response to this need, I turned first to reading, then to film and theater, and finally games. I cannot help but feel as though I have developed, through them, a large share of my best qualities, as remarked upon by others to be honesty and affability. They spring from the firmament of the dreams and aspirations of an untold number of authors, developers, and producers.

In those careers, specifically videogame design, I see not only the makings of a solid and enjoyable living for myself and my intended family, but also the germs of truth whose attainment I have made it my purpose not only to pursue but also to share with others should my work ethic and innate ability allow me to generate success. I am grounded in the real world consequences of living due to my present and past conditions and I fully understand the reality of the need to work, to eat, to live, and so on. In spite of that, I am convinced that there lies something beyond this mundane procession of life. Or rather, that is integral to the pursuit of life and gives it purpose and happiness. It is through reading, playing games, and watching the human spirit play itself out in endless pantomimes created by playwrights and producers who share my quest to discover the truth of life and to express their limited understanding through a medium that others may connect to and understand that I have come to the realizations that my life is something to value and my interests are worthwhile. I hunger for scientific knowledge, thirst for the wisdom of my peers, and feel a tired need to rest upon the contentment I receive when I help others. I believe that through a career as a videogame developer I will find an outlet for the creativity which presses at the limits of my mind and create a perfect product in which I may combine scientific, anthropological, and literary knowledge into the fulfillment of my life.

The only place I am aware of which offers such a broad range of learning is the institution of college. I have therefore humbly submitted this limited expression of myself in the hopes that I too may join the ranks of men and women who have shaken and strengthened my world through the power of their conviction and the inexpressible efficacy of their mediums. Thank you for taking the time to get to know more about me. Enjoy your day and remember to be happy.
ohrio 1 / 2  
I LOVE your essay. Mainly because I am a Draenei Shaman and cannot wait for Cataclysm to release in a week.

The intro is nice and strong, however, the concluding sentences are not needed.
Of course, such an emphasis on fantasy in not to be taken without a grain of salt. ----- wow, very cool. I have to admit, you made me think of this common expression in a new way. Take it with a grain of salt. What the heck does that even mean!! I will google it later. I never wondered about that expression. It must involve some superstition.

I am, in short, a young man who has lived in a sub perfect environment and learned to deal with hardship as it may come. ---wow, wll you also have become a hell of a writer. I recommend Victor Frankl's "Man's Search for Meaning" for your mom, so she can find comfort in your profound depth of thinking and writing, which probably is owed at least in part to her struggle and influence and also your own struggle over the years... just like Nikolai Berdyaev, you became deep through struggle.

videogame design---I always worry when kids want to go into gaming design. Is it really the kind of thing you want to do every day? Some jobs are very different from the CONCEPTS that make people want to do them. For example, some kids love animals so they want to be a vet, but then they have to put animals to sleep and see them suffer al the time... so ... be careful to distinguish between what you want to BE and what you want to DO EVERY DAY. If you are into game design, maybe you are also going to find time for other kinds of digital design (i have no prejudice against games... they combine music, story, visual art, everything, a very high form of art. But get specific about what you want to DO every day for your work. Be careful not to make a screwy decision.

I believe that through a career as a videogame developer I will find an outlet for the -------yes, it is really a great kind of art. Gaming is serious stuff, a very cool, very modern art form. But I wonder if you can expand this concept so that instead of focusing on gaming, which could have the reader feel like it is not so serious, couldn't you easily make it about the specific skills that go into it? The same skills that make you able to design games can make you able to do a lot of other stuff, so I think you could call it something different.

creativity which presses at the limits of my mind and create a perfect product in which I may combine scientific, anthropological, and literary knowledge into the fulfillment of my life.--You really did a great job with some of these sentences.

Thank you for taking the time to get to know more about me. ---some people would advise against this, but I think it is a nice touch and will score you a point.

This has to go, though, because after the previous sentence it is too preachy, just like me:
Enjoy your day and remember to be happy.

:-) That is what I think!! I am glad you are participating at EssayForum!

Home / Undergraduate / "no prominent male figure in my life" UC application - my family, community, world