UC promt 1: Environmental Studies

sbenn334 1 / -  
I would really appreciate any feedback anyone might have, I don't feel like this is a very strong subject.

My fondest memories of my early education involved small science experiment s and outdoors activities. My experiences ranged from watching the metamorphosis of a butterfly in a jar to planting flowers in front of the classroom. Being allowed to observe the growth and participate in the process turned abstract ideas into real, replicable, processes. These activities shaped the way I learn and made it possible for me to understand multiple concepts in a broad range of subjects and encouraged me to formulate new hypotheses as I continued to pursue knowledge of my environment. I believe this is where my interest in Environmental Studies was born. A special educational program in grade school gave me the opportunity to practice an "outside education" with class trips to the Santa Cruz mountains and the Headlands Marine Institute. Throughout my education looking at environmental issues was a porthole to my understanding/comprehension of other subjects such as math, geography, biology and history. The combination of social and biological studies is the appeal to becoming an environmental studies and economics major.

In conjunction with my educational experiences my interests have been shaped by strong parental involvement. As my father had majored in environmental studies and biology, he incorporated family trips and events with his educational background. Week long camping trips and hikes were frequent and day trips to the beach, foothills, or delta, were common. From building solar ovens for our summer cookouts, to harvesting lady bugs from neighboring fields to feast on the aphids in our rose garden, to raising praying mantises in terrariums, my family was always involved in small environmental projects which served as foundational blocks in my development. My siblings and I were always encouraged to explore new ecosystems and expand on what we had been taught by learning more ourselves. Supplemental reading, and later internet research, were important follow-up activities during which I began to understand that my education outside of the classroom, in my free time, was perhaps more important than structured lessons. It was during my individual quests for more information that I found my niche.

As a teenager I became involved in the environmental club. Participating in community clean-up days, tree-planting and other activities was an extremely rewarding experience for me. As a member I was able to provide information and ideas on projects. This was the first time in high school that I felt that I was doing something significant. Being a part of a group allowed me to incorporate different opinions and absorb the knowledge of others.

During college I took a soil science class which incorporated trips to local agriculture and horticulture communities. A semester long research project on food production allowed me to explore both theoretical and hands-on practice.

I am currently volunteering for the Santa Cruz County Coastal Watershed Council, where we recently finished the annual first flush event which involved going to the watersheds throughout the county during the first heavy rain and testing the pH levels, temperature, and conductivity of the water runoff. As with my soil science class, this project allowed me to incorporate my local community into my education. I will continue to volunteer for the Watershed Council in order to be a part of similar activities. I remain unsure of how my intended major relates to my future career, however I am certain that my continued fascination with this field of study is sufficient reason for me to complete my degree with this major. With my degree I hope to contribute to ongoing efforts to solve global environmental issues.
This might not seem like a very strong subject to you, but you can make it interesting by the way you write it.
For example, if we take this sentence; I believe this is where my interest in Environmental Studies was born. and change it like this; "I believe my interest in environmental studies was born in a jar with a butterfly, as I watched in wonder..." Then make that the first sentence of your essay.

My fondest memories of my early education involved small science experiments and outdoors activities.

Being allowed to observe the growth and participate in the process turned abstract ideas into real, replicable, processes.

The combination of social and biological studies is the appeal to becoming an environmental studies and economics major. This needs to be revised for clarity.

Home / Undergraduate / UC promt 1: Environmental Studies