"proper education" - A&M Essay: Topic B

Brandon_Tuba 1 / 2  
The prompt for this essay is to pick an issue and write an essay that explains the significance of the issue and relate it to you, your family, community or generation. I have written a rough draft but am looking for a more "meat" to be added to it. I'm also a little iffy on whether I answered the prompt well enough.

:::

In today's word, it seems impossible to do anything with out a proper education. Many things require you to have a background in which you have spent some time learning a process or being trained in a skill. Even something like flipping burgers at McDonalds requires training at Hamburger University in Chicago if you ever want to move into upper-management. This is why I believe that obtaining the highest education possible is the best goal that I can work towards.

The benefits of a high quality education are infinite. It provides a path for so much more than to do with your life than just graduating high school would, even if you don't go into the specific field you studied for in school. A higher education gives you more knowledge to solve problems with and gives you a stronger foundation to improve your situation. You can always use an education to get you somewhere in life.

Coming from a single parent home, I have personally seen how hard it is to sustain a good income on just a high school education. My only finished part of a year of college and I have seen her struggle for years to provide me a decent home and life for me and her. She has toiled for eighteen years to get to where she is today and all of her accomplishments have been the result of the tremendous amount of time and effort she has put forth into her work. But because of her lack of a higher education, she has to work so much harder to get even part of what someone else with a college degree would get for the same amount of time and effort as well as miss out on other things in life as well. I know this by comparing her to my uncle, who was able to finish college and now has an amazing job at an insurance company.

They are only one year apart in age and he makes about three times as much as my mother. He has been able to afford a large two-story home with about one hundred acres of land with many head of cattle. We also have a home with land, but it took my mother a significantly longer amount time to get to where she is now than it took my uncle. Both my mother and my uncle are at a level of management that covers an area of business locations, but because of my uncle's education, his area stretches over half of the United States while my mother's reaches across eight counties in Texas. Both of them, in my opinion, are exceptionally intelligent and skilled. They both are virtually the same when it comes to how they work and how well they know the businesses game, but the only difference between them is a college degree. That degree creates a huge difference in between their lives.

Another thing I think a higher education would give me is more flexibility than my mother has had while raising me Because of her having to work so much harder to get where she is today, my mother has missed out on many things that I have done in school and a large amount of time that we could have spent together as a family. I know that missing these things were not easy for her, but were choices that she had to make in order to provide for me. I believe that if she had had the opportunity to have finished college and obtain a degree, then she would have been able to create a better life for us both as well as have had enough time to be with me when we wanted to be together.

The reason I want a higher education is so that I can have an even better life when I get older than I had when I was growing up. I want to be able to make the money that my uncle makes instead of the money that my mom makes. I want to be able to have the time to spend with my children that my own mother didn't always have to spend with me. I believe that my mother is an extremely intelligent and successful woman, but I think that she could have gone so much further in life than did if she had gotten a college degree. My life will have so many more opportunities in it when I get a college degree.
In today's world , it seems impossible to do anything without a proper education.

It provides a path for so much more than to do with your life than just graduating high school would, even if you don't go into the specific field you studied for in school.

My mother only finished part of a year of college and I have seen her struggle for years to provide me a decent home and life for me and her.

But because of her lack of a higher education, she has to work so much harder to get even part of what someone else with a college degree would get for the same amount of time and effort as well as missing out on other things in life. as well.

They are only one year apart in age and he makes about three times as much as my mother does .

I know that missing these things was not easy for her, but were choices that she had to make in order to provide for me.

I believe that My mother is an extremely intelligent and successful woman, but I think that she could have gone so much further in life than did if she had gotten a college degree.

You answered the prompt well and told how it affected you and your family. I don't love your last sentence though, maybe because you have 'college degree' written twice, so close together?
OP Brandon_Tuba 1 / 2  
Thanks for your help!! Its so nice to have a fresh set of eyes to look at a paper!!

Home / Undergraduate / "proper education" - A&M Essay: Topic B