Home / Undergraduate   % width NEW!

Qualities and characteristics for an individual at UCF

sofl 1 / 1  
first draft. need to cut it by 150 words.
be as critical as possible

What are essential qualities for an individual at ucf? Is it their grades? How many community service hours? Or maybe it's their drive and determination.

I am not the valedictorian of my school but I have been through many unexpected and great life experiences. Experiences that have led to the establishment of work ethic, and leadership. Two traits that I consider to be exceptionally important in life.

Work ethic is something that everyone has in them, but it is up to the individual to capitalize on it. Since I can remember I've always wanted to do my best in all things, from sports to school.This summer I put my work ethic to the test, by becoming a counselor at a 7 week sleep away camp. Hearing the word camp counselor may sound like an easy and fun job, but that is a misconception. Easy would never be a word to describe this occupation, strenuous, demanding, and unyielding suit the definition much better. Waking every morning at 7:00, to some of the most rowdy and rambunctious children on this planet, puts your work ethic to an ultimate test. You could've had the most trying and physically hard day, but camp does not stop for you, you keep on persisting. One of the greatest life experiences, has reaffirmed certainty in my work ethic.

Leadership is essential for any community, or organization. Leadership is another trait that everyone has, and yet some people allow it to lie dormant. Leadership has different forms, from having to guide a group of individuals to a certain goal, to knowing when another person is more qualified, and stepping down. Both at certain times can be extremely crucial to a goal, both I have had to do. At 17 I was leading 5 day drips on Maine's toughest mountains. Thrown into this adventure with little help, I was forced to assume the role of a leader, to guide 13 year olds with no wilderness experience. The outcome of this task was a complete success, and I became a full time trip leader.

In times when a leader has to step down to benefit the community, is of same importance of stepping up. It maybe harder to perform, but a leader does not only look out for himself, a leader puts others before himself.

With my knowledge I have gained in work ethic and leadership, I know me going to UCF would not only contribute the community, but help me grow more into the young man I want to be.

Home / Undergraduate / Qualities and characteristics for an individual at UCF