Radio and Television Personal essay for Ryerson fall 2011

rheadawg 2 / 1  
A 1500-word personal essay. Tell us why you are an excellent candidate for the Radio & Television
program.

Hello, how are you? Although I am unable to shake your hand with a smile, I would like to take a moment and introduce myself. My name is Sofia DeBartolo, and the pleasure of meeting you is all mine. As many have said before, I want to be famous, but not for the money, for the opportunity to change the world.

Now you may be thinking, change the world? Famous? This girl must be crazy, but as it turns out I probably am. Anyone that knows me well enough would say that girl is one of a kind, but you got to love it. There are not many Sofias in the world, which may have something to do with why I am so far from ordinary; however I like to think of myself as unique. You might be saying to yourself, how do I expect to change the world and what is it that makes me so unique? Well first of all I am half Punjabi, half Kashmiri with Greek, Persian, and Iranian descent, and I am willing to take on any challenge that life throws in front of me. The student body at Blue Fish Secondary School (BFSS) would also agree that starting my own talk show or even being a host on some kind of performing arts show would be perfect for me. Chasing those big city dreams, and making it to the top is somewhat unlikely, but I'm not going to stop, even if it kills me.

Ryerson's Radio and Television (RTA) program will benefit me by bringing me one step closer to my goal. Every class, seminar, lecture, and even a discussion with a professor is an irreplaceable experience that will provide me with knowledge and a greater understanding of life in the spotlight. The RTA program is more than just an education or a degree, it's an opportunity to know what others may not, and be that someone that people move on and forget about in their everyday life. Furthermore, the RTA program will give me a chance to be someone that is pursuing their dreams, in hope that I will be able to show the world how truly wonderful life can be for everyone. That desire in itself is like a source of fuel to my passionate aspirations.

As a member of the RTA program, I would be able to share my determination to do something great, and live life to the fullest with others. I would also be able to bring my positivity and analytical skills, based on past experience and moving to a different country at sixteen, of what a specific audience wants to hear to the table. As a student and a graduate of the RTA program Ryerson will be even more of a prestigious school for the Arts, because people would no longer have to endure their dreams being flaunted in front of their faces. Instead, the school would be known as an asset to making those dreams become reality.

For almost all of my life, I have been involved with a series of productions, both inside and outside of school, such as plays, dance recitals, orchestral concerts ( I play the cello), and speaking in front of audiences in general. As a performer, I have the skills to captivate an audience and allow them to interpret a message based on my actions or what I am saying. Writing and understanding the power of words is just as important within a radio and television field as actions, music, or appearance. Therefore, the meaning of a dance, a play, or a composition may not be completely straightforward, but still a form of communication. Communication is a powerful tool that reflects where I see myself in the future.

As I've brushed upon before, in five years I can only hope to be one of the world's youngest talk show host, similar to that of Oprah or Ellen DeGeneres. Within the show, I would discuss pop culture, music, the entertainment industry, but pay special attention to global issues such as human trafficking, drug warlords, child abuse, and inequality between males and females around the word. Every episode I would host an interview with families or people with issues that relate to human life and experience in order to discuss the depths of humanity as a whole, while at the same time, incorporating fun and exciting people and events. Combining serious humanitarian activities, with uplifting and spiritual people from all around the world, I would create a show that appealed to a variety of people.

Dreams, especially those similar to my own, make take some time, as a more realistic career, in five years I see myself as some kind of television or radio host. Whether it is on a dancing, singing, or even performing arts show, I am not sure, but I believe that I can slowly build my career by starting on some kind of broadcasting program.

Group work, working as a team, and working with other people has always been one of my strengths. I enjoy bouncing ideas off people, learning from new perspectives, and taking a new approach by looking at something from another angle. At BFSS I take on the responsibility of leading a dance club, and I was also the assistant choreographer in the school production Grease 2010. Staff from all departments, as well as wide range of about 300 students came together in the remake of the original Grease, directed by Randal Kleiser (1978). As assistant choreographer it was my responsibility to make sure each actor, dancer, and singer, had all the rights moves.

Working especially close with the gentlemen playing Danny Zuko, time was of the essence. Coordinating singing, acting, and dancing in one rehearsal was hectic, but at the same time demonstrated what I was truly capable of. There were around 10 songs that required, as the director described, as more than perfection. As with anything in life, nothing is perfect, and, as expected several problems arose during practices.

Some of the secondary cast members as well as, members of the stage crew, felt as though they were less important in comparison to the main leads. Feeling a lack of motivation, some students felt that quitting the production would solve the problem, and prove a point. However, I made a specific effort to demonstrate how each member of a production is equally important. By highlighting the significance of each role, I was able to prevent students from going off the deep end and come together. Similar to the radio and television industry there are some positions that may seem less important, but there are no small parts (roles or positions), only small performers.

Browsing through both the required and elective courses, there were several courses available that piqued my interest, but the four that particularly enticed me were BDC 951 (Broadcast Presentation I), BDC 820 (Internship), BDC 903 (News and Current Affairs Theory), and BCD 925 (Issues in Popular Culture). Each program will allow me to understand different techniques in respect to the world of media, especially in both the entertainment and global industries.

BDC 951 is a course that would provide with a greater knowledge of how to present a piece of media as an audio, visual, and somewhat theoretical performance. It provides knowledge that could take me in directions such as journalism, reporting for a news station, as well as developing interviewing, hosting, and stand-up skills; all of which are vital in having a talk show.

The course BDC 820 will provide me with the most real life experience. Working for a company within the industry, I will get a taste of what I crave to be a part of. Hopefully, I will become well connected and be able to become more involved in addressing humanitarian issues as a new type of celebrity in the world, similar to that of Angelina Jolie.

BDC 903 is a course that can expand my analytical abilities in understanding global problems, and finding solutions. BDC 925 incorporates a similar perception of celebrities and the entertainment world. Both are beneficial in composing a diverse repertoire of strengths.

There were three non-media courses that I found particularly interesting, THD 100 (Fundamentals of Dance), THA 100 (Fundamentals of Acting), and CCRM 402 (Criminal Justice and Social Inequality). Partial to dancing and acting I could not resist, but both THD 100 and THA 100 are essentials to the performing world as I often fathom being in a Broadway production, movie, commercial or soap opera. CCRM 402 is a course that relates to the law, victims and discrepancy within society; all of which are issues that any humanitarian effort, as well as globally involved talk show host, must address and understand. Education and experience with law will also allow the opportunity to pursue law education.

As a component of the RTA program the dream of being famous and changing the world will become more of a realistic vision. The opportunities and connections that can be made within the RTA program are astonishing and a true inspiration. I now would like to take another moment to thank you for your time, as I appreciate your consideration.
Hello, how are you? Although I am unable to shake your hand with a smile, I would like to take a moment and introduce myself. My name is Sofia DeBartolo, and the pleasure of meeting you is all mine. As many have said before, I want to be... be saying to yourself, how do I expect to change the world and what is it that makes me so unique? Well first of all I am half Punjabi, half Kashmiri with Greek, Persian, and Iranian descent, and I am willing to take on any challenge that life throws in front of me. The student...

Hi Rheanna, look at all the stuff I cut out. That kind of stuff is what people call "self-indulgent" when they critique writing. Also, it is "affecting a breezy manner," which Strunk and White recommend against.

But look at what is left over after I cut what I don't like. It is beautiful!
I am half Punjabi, half Kashmiri with Greek, Persian, and Iranian descent, and I am willing to take on any challenge that life throws in front of me. The student body at Blue Fish Secondary School (BFSS) would also agree that starting my own talk show or ....I'm not going to stop, even if it kills me.

If this (above) is your intro, you have my attention. I know you were expressing something excellent with the intro you gave, but it does not have the effect you want. After you build momentum, your great writing began, and I showed you where it began above.

Ryerson's Radio and Television (RTA) program will benefit me by bringing me one step closer to my goal. ...Excellent.

Less is more, cut unnecessary words: There were around 10 ten songs that required, as the director described, as "more than perfection,"according to our director.

As with anything in life, nothing is perfect, and, as expected s Several problems arose during practices.---less is always more. :-)

The way you write is great, but as you revise, look for ways to eliminate unnecessary phrases and sentences. They create unnecessary work for the reader.

Home / Undergraduate / Radio and Television Personal essay for Ryerson fall 2011