Home / Undergraduate   % width NEW!

"Why do I run?" UF admission essay. thoughts/suggestions

lanasat1 1 / 1  
Prompt:In the space provided, please write a concise narrative in which you describe a meaningful event, experience or accomplishment in your life and how it will affect your college experience or your contribution to the UF campus community. You may want to reflect on your ideas about student responsibility, academic integrity, campus citizenship or a call to service.

Why do I run? I am asked this question a lot. There's more to the answer than meets the eye.
The gun went off for the regional 400 meter race it was Spring 2009, and I crossed the finish line 57 seconds later. The top 4 finishers go on to state, and I was 12th. Now I wasn't crushed by this because I knew it wouldn't happen, I had run all season but had never put in real effort. But something struck a chord minutes later; perhaps it was the torch of competition being lit up in me? All I know is at that moment I thought to myself what am I doing...why do I run? I decided I would no longer dilly dally at practices and would run during the off season, I don't know who said it but they were spot in saying, if you're going to do something do it the best you can. I have now applied this notion to all parts of my life.

Once I started running seriously my everyone kept asking why, and saying things such as it's not like you'll go the Olympics or break world records someday. It was tough not really having any support, then I thought at one point maybe they're right and I should call it quits. Then one day I'm watching television and a Gatorade commercial comes on and goes, "You have a choice, you can throw in the towel, or you can use it to wipe the sweat off your face." That made my decision right then and there, sure the road wouldn't be easy but nothing worthwhile is. Everyone I knew seemed to have the mindset that great people are born, not made. They looked at athletes and said "That can't be me". But when I saw them I said, "That will be me." Whose going to do it I asked? Whose going to represent the US at the Olympics, everyone can't just pass the buck. I feel like it's my duty now to do my absolute best in every endeavor because I can't assume someone else will go out and do the same, because in the end knowing I gave everything, means everything.

Many still didn't understand, and the badgering continued, friend saying why don't you be ordinary again, take it easy and slide by and be average. Well the bottom line is I don't want to be "average"; the University of Florida doesn't accept average. UF is the university for me because when I see people who are Gators I know I can relate with them, I know that they too didn't settle for less, that they have the same drive as I, the same oomph to go to the next level, and that together we are ones that are going to make the difference someday.

So why do I run? Because it gives me purpose in life, because every time I step to the starting line there's a chance for me to be extraordinary.

Hey thanks for reading, feedback would be great. My dad thinks I should incorporate how I am a Hurricane Katrina victim, but I think ill put that in the additional Information.

Home / Undergraduate / "Why do I run?" UF admission essay. thoughts/suggestions