Home / Undergraduate   % width NEW!

SAIC SOP -- Found; 'excellent teachers and intense artistic atmosphere'

AMANDANIELLE 1 / 1  
instructions: Writing is a very important component of being an artist. We will be looking closely at your ability to compose an essay, as well as the manner in which you utilize text as a tool. We are interested in finding out more about you, why you do what you do, and why you are a strong candidate for SAIC's undergraduate program. Please also include information about community service projects, exhibitions you have participated in, or any other activities that contribute to the making of your work.

Found

Looking into the mirror, I see a girl with black hair, olive skin with a five feet two inch body. She looks ordinary, but zooming out, she is standing in front of a wall of artworks. Now she is no longer ordinary; she is an art lover and an artist shining confidently. However, in reality, my self-realization was not so simple. I was lost for a long time. The invaluable experiences I gained while figuring out my true passion is the reason why I believe I am a strong candidate for SAIC.

When I was a child, I always followed my heart, and my curiosity drove me to try many things. While many things entertained me temporarily, nothing quite satiated my curiosity like art did. Drawing and painting became my mom's best baby sitter and my best friend. Ever since my first drawing, I spent almost all my weekends and many of my summers in art classes.

To be honest, I did stray from my path. A year before the SSAT, I gave up art. I started to believe that my interest would not get me anywhere, that art should just be a pastime, and that I should focus on getting into a good college and then getting a stable job. I started persistently following this belief, and yet I was not happy at all. Life was so dull, and I felt numb from the monotony. During this time the only color in my black-and-white life was my time in the drama club, where I worked as director of the music department. Choosing the songs and matching them to each specific scene in the play- these moments evoked the memory of the days when I drew and painted, when I was full of creativity and enthusiasm. Drama relit the flames of my desire for painting and drawing, and that fire gave me immeasurable courage to stop my charade and truly live again.

In China, people are not allowed to transfer schools. To correct the mistakes, I decided to abandon everything I had to go to USA. When I sit at Quincy College's art studio and pick up a pencil, not to fill in holes in an answer sheet, but to draw, my heart screams and I know I want to do this for the rest of my life. During my one and half years at Quincy College, art has helped me grow and discover myself more deeply. I gradually realized that to see, to find beauty, to create, to be myself and to love are what I live for. My time away from art has strengthened my desire towards it even more.

My art is inspired by my emotion. When I'm upset, my art calms me and brings me peace. When I'm happy my art lets me record these precious memories down. When I love somebody, I draw her/him. Being able to encapsulate these moments in my life encourages my art. However, I don't draw only for myself; I want my art to have some meaning for other people too, whether they are my loved ones or just strangers. Just like how my time in the drama club inspired me to pursue my dreams, I hope that my art will inspire others and alleviate their uncertainties.

To achieve that, I need to catch the eyes. Things that against the brain bring up attentions and people will start thinking and getting into my work. I am either using an unusual viewpoint or make an eccentric component into the works. And that is where I place the clue to let people find out the meaning of the work.

This semester, my works were featured in Indigo, Quincy College's arts journal and will be shown at the gallery. Hopefully the people at the gallery enjoyed my work, but I also want to show my artwork to even more people. While I may not have realized my passion early and I do not have a lot of work published yet, I hope that SAIC will give me the chance to realize my dreams.

I first realized that I wanted to go to SAIC during the SAIC Boston Day. It was completely different from other, more traditional schools' portfolio days. My SAIC counselor reviewer focused on the ideas behind my works and why how I implemented those ideas, unlike other schools' reviewers who only cared about my attention on still life, lighting and shadow. I recognize the importance of those details, but I feel that art should have more meaning. What's the point of soley focusing on the photorealistic aspects, when photographs can achieve the same effect faster and better. I like the fact that SAIC is such a progressive and independent school that focuses on its student's thoughts and helps them translate their ideas into tangible forms. Furthermore, because of this nurturing aspect, the students at SAIC will be passionate, ambitious, and creative. I want to spend my time surrounded by these inspiring people. I sincerely believe that the excellent teachers and intense artistic atmosphere at SAIC will help me to realize my true potential.

Home / Undergraduate / SAIC SOP -- Found; 'excellent teachers and intense artistic atmosphere'