"school of universal learning" - Why Carnegie Mellon Essay

angelfromhell 1 / 1  
Please submit a one-page, single-spaced essay that explains why you have chosen Carnegie Mellon your particular major(s), department(s) or program(s). This essay should include the reasons why you've chosen the major(s), any goals or relevant work plans and any other information you would like us to know. If you are applying to more than one college or program, please mention each college or program you are applying to. Because our admission committees review applicants by college and programs, your essay can impact our final decision. Please do not exceed one page for this essay.

A university is a "school of universal learning". It is a school of knowledge of every kind, a place for the communication and circulation thoughts, a place where the professor pours knowledge forth with the zeal of enthusiasm. It is a seat of wisdom, a light of the world, a minister of the faith, an Alma Mater of the rising generation. Carnegie Mellon University perfectly interprets the true meaning of a university. And I believe that what CMU owns is far more than its high ranking and prestige; what CMU owns, is the opportunity to engage in the most advanced curricula, the opportunity to be in touch with the smartest and most preeminent students in the world, and the opportunity to pursue my goals in such predominant environment.

"My heart is in the work." Just as the founder of CMU, Andrew Carnegie always said, the wholehearted attitude towards work is the traditional spirit of the university. Such deep-rooted belief is integrated in the entire university culture and ingrained in everyone's mind. What I am looking for in a university is a rigorous, intellectual inquiry into the study that takes place in a casual, and relatively relaxed atmosphere. The conversation I had with my friend in CMU solidified my desire to study here. "Casual, and just do whatever you want, that's CMU," He said, "Just work out your ideas!" There are schools where students were relaxed and happy, and I have spoken to students at schools where academics were intense and rigorous. CMU is the only place I have known that has all these characteristics simultaneously, and largely because of that, CMU is my first choice for business school.

My interest in finance blossomed when I was a child. My family used to watch television after supper-usually channels for finance and economics. Since then, I have been shown keen interest in finance. Our life is closely interrelated to finance, and the market operates around finance. In modern society, everybody-small businesses, monolithic corporations, charities, and governments-needs effective financial management. By enrolling Tepper School of Business with a concentration on finance major, I will be preparing for a career that is both exciting and challenging that offers unlimited opportunities and awards. Since my ideal is to become a CFO, and I'm an inborn extrovert, studying finance major fits me quite well. Therefore, I would like to pursue a finance degree in a university with an award-winning faculty-many of whom are leaders in their field.

However, the determining factor that fuels my desire to become a CMU Tartan is the undergraduate programs in Tepper School. The business track and minor that CMU offers provide me both the depth and breadth in undergraduate study. Tracks allow for a comprehensive focus on my business major, and by declaring a minor outside my core curriculum, I will be able to gain exposure to other renowned colleges at Carnegie Mellon. CMU is an institution which pursues individual attention and the small class size has become a Tepper trademark. A low student-faculty ratio means closer interactions with the professor and stronger connection to peers. Moreover, Tepper School offers top-ranked business undergraduates outstanding opportunities for leadership in a wide variety of student organizations. Business Opportunities Conference (BOC) is a good place for me to network with actively recruiting companies. And by engaging in the Carnegie Mellon Business Association (cmBA), Students in Free Enterprise (SIFE), Undergraduate Marketing Organization (UMO), I will be able to gain teamwork and leadership experiences and apply them in my future career.

Another reason that makes CMU appeals to me is the time-honored traditions that rooted in Carnegie Mellon which have become unique scenery on campus. The one-week-long orientation program sets CMU apart from other universities by providing students who newly join Carnegie Mellon community warm welcomes, opportunities to get acquainted with classmates, faculty and campus surroundings. And the Spring Carnival-the biggest and most beloved event of CMU school year-is a fun-filled tradition with the two main components-Booth and Buggy. In the middle of the CUT lies the Fence-the most painted object on campus. Camp out in tents overnight and enjoy a cookout on the CUT during the day to guard the fence must be an interesting experience throughout college life.

Entering university is much more than a stepping stone to your future career; it provides you a deeper understanding of knowledge, values, and life. Carnegie Mellon University makes me understand that theory deeply. It is not only a place where you could learn knowledge, but also a place where fun and learning are not exclusive spheres, a place where education is never a passive activity, a place where the non-academic life within a dynamic campus makes you feel a strong sense of community, a place where you'll get enlightenment in both intellectual and spiritual aspect. As such, Carnegie Mellon University is a natural fit for me, and I believe if admitted, CMU and I will integrate with each other perfectly.

What do you think of my essay?Thanks for your help!
zain12qa 4 / 11  
From this essay I understand that you know how to do research, and know CMU very well. The essay needs a flow/emotion in it, it gets boring to read because of its length and sheer amount of information.
OP angelfromhell 1 / 1  
Thanks for your comment!But I have no idea about adding something emotional to my essay...because the "why essays" are all same types...could you say a little bit more specifically?Thanks a lot!

Home / Undergraduate / "school of universal learning" - Why Carnegie Mellon Essay