'Screaming often shakes the foundation of my house'; Vires, Artes, Mores

protesturhero 3 / 6  
Hi!
tell me if it sucks! :]
any kind of help is welcome even if you think it's obvious

For almost one hundred years, the Latin words, "Vires, Artes, Mores" have been the guiding philosophy behind Florida State University. Vires signifies strength of all kinds - moral, physical, and intellectual; Artes alludes to the beauty of intellectual pursuits as exemplified in skill, craft, or art; and Mores refers to character, custom, or tradition. Describe how one or more of the values embodied in these concepts are reflected in your life.

Screaming often shakes the foundation my house sits on. My parents fight constantly and released a lot of anger into my home atmosphere. As an only child, I was often used as an element to guilt trip the other parent in their petty fights and began to feel like that would be all I was good for. My overall disposition became sulky and quick to anger when deep down all I wanted was to escape. One call from ASM Music School changed all of that. I began taking piano lessons and learning music not only gave me a head start at school, where I chose to play the tuba, but it also gave me a motivation to persevere. With music, I could drown out my parent's constant fights and concentrate on my schoolwork. The different varieties of music presented a way to release all my pent up emotion. The art of music brought me peace and strength.

Through the form of music, Artes brought me a strength that I could not have received anywhere else. I excelled in learning music because I felt the notes in my heart. Soon I was skipping levels and earning first place in many of my competitions. I gained confidence and finally felt that I was worth something, something valuable. My confidence let me shrug off the petty insults from other children and sometimes from my parents when they are angry. This strength within me knew my true value/worth and pushed me to take classes that challenged me and find a way to make myself comfortable in any new environment. One way I did this was through volunteering.

When I entered high school I stopped attending ASM Music School to make more time for studying, homework, and extracurricular activities. I was still very active in the music program at my school but I still needed a place I could call my home away from home. As luck would have it, I found two: Parkway Christian Church and Broward County Southwest Regional Library. Volunteering my time in these warm environments with fun and caring staff gave me an opportunity to be out of my house while having the time of my life. I gained a work ethic and a sense of responsibility had overcome me. These institutions needed to spread their own messages, messages that I believed in. I felt giddy just knowing that I was a part of it all, that I had helped.

Vires, Artes, and Mores all exist within me. They are all of one philosophy, so where you find one you must also discover the other two. Vires, to me, is the strength I gained from Artes and Mores; the strength to carry on and a willingness to pass on my knowledge. Artes is the element that motivated me to persevere in life. Catharsis gave me the ability to focus my energies outward rather than locking it up inside. Mores used my energies to volunteer and help others achieve their goals. These three torches will allow me to fit into the FSU community and share what I know to help other people.

---

Suspended for ignoring the thread title rules.
nerdalert13 1 / 3  
"One call from the ASM Music School changed all of that"

"One way I did this was through volunteering." <---this is sort of stilted. I think you can actually just take this sentence out because you explain this in your next paragraph.

"Catharsis" isn't the word your looking for. You aren't beating people up to let out your frustration. I think you mean more 'sublimation' which is: the transformation of unwanted impulses into something less harmful. This can simply be a distracting release or may be a constructive and valuable piece of work.

"Vires, to me , is the strength I gained from Artes and Mores"

You answer the question rather well and I like your last sentence :)

I hope this helps and good luck.
OP protesturhero 3 / 6  
catharsis is the releasing of emotion through art...

how could I transition my essay from artes to mores then? (the volunteering sentence)

and yes thank you ^_^

Home / Undergraduate / 'Screaming often shakes the foundation of my house'; Vires, Artes, Mores