'want to see life worth living' - Stanford What matters to you and why?

pringles 6 / 36  
Well the deadline is getting dangerously close. Final stretch. Please help me! This was the hardest prompt, but I finally found a response. Tell me what yall think

What matters to you, and why? Character limit: 2000

The clock strikes 4 A.M. I take another warm soothing sip of my chai and start click clacking on my keyboard again to finish an essay for my English class. The headphones in my ears ooze out empowering songs to motivate me. As the hook of the song approaches, I jump out of my seat, sing silently into my pencil and do a little dance. I jump up with the upbeats, groove left and right with the flow of the song, and legitimately believe the pencil in my hand is a real microphone. Its 4 A.M. and there's an important essay due in the morning, a situation that most students dread, but I'm having a great time. I once heard somebody say, "If it's not fun, you're not doing it right." What's important to me? Having fun is important to me. What's the point of life if you don't enjoy living it?

Don't get the wrong idea though. I'm not a party boy who prioritizes fun over everything. I'm actually quite studious and take learning and education very seriously. But from a very early age, my father told me that fun is all about perspective. He'd always say how he had worked very hard for thirty years to where he was today and if he wasn't having fun while doing it, he would have gone crazy a long time ago. That message has always been a key facet in my life. Some people might see an all-nighter to finish an essay as a struggle, but I flip it around. What I think is, I'm going to finish the essay no matter what, so I might as well enjoy it. With that mindset, work transforms from a hated adversary to a welcomed friend.

I already know that there will be many things in life that I won't want to do but it is my job to make them enjoyable. Work is tedious and boring only if you allow it to be. When I'm old and looking back on my life, I don't want to see that I've lived a life of hardship and labor. I want to see life worth living, a life full of happiness and excitement. I want to be able to say exactly what Thomas Edison said, "I never did a day's work in my life. It was all fun."
dasadhikarik 5 / 10  
legitimately believe

How about just "imagine"? "legitimately believe" sounds a little awkward.

I'm actually quite studious and take learning and education very seriously. But from a very early age, my father told me that fun is all about perspective.

You might want to reconsider repeating the word "very" so close together.

Other than that, I couldn't find anything to comment on. It's a good essay, and you sure seem to have the Stanford mentality.
ZhoeK 5 / 173  
Zain

I loved your essay, the anecdote totally demonstrated your fun-loving side and the body of your essay shows how creative and intellectual you are. This was extremely well written and I do not see any grammatical errors. I also think that the AOs will definitely vibe well with that attitude of making work fun on order to enjoy life. Excellent.

Off-topic: My brother's name is Zane :)

Good luck though you'll have no problem getting in - I'm sure.
Hope this helps! I would love it if you read my revised common app. Luxury VS. Struggle essay. Thanks!
OP pringles 6 / 36  
Thanks guys! I guess just a quick proofread and I'm good to go

I really hope I do get in Zhoe :) thanks! Goodluck on all your applications as well

Home / Undergraduate / 'want to see life worth living' - Stanford What matters to you and why?