"to smile and be enthusiastic" - Umic Diversity short answer

ysleung 1 / -  
Share an experience through which you have gained respect for intellectual, social, or cultural differences. Comment on how your personal experiences and achievements would contribute to the diversity of the University of Michigan.

After a five hour long car ride along an old bumpy road with the members of the cultural exchange program, I arrived at an elementary school in the SiChuan province of China, where I could do little but stare in shocked horror. The dilapidated school appeared on the brink of collapse with its roof made of rotten wood and the steps up to the front door missing planks. An overwhelming stench arose from the outhouses behind it. Talking to the children upset me profoundly; they told me that they walked a couple hours from their homes to school, and all in their bare feet. The wounds and mud on their feet prove their eagerness to study. I gave the children some pencils, and they smiled wholeheartedly and said they had never owned any stationery before, even simply a pencil. Their reactions made me and happy and melted my heart and they made me confident and blissful. Until now, I still remember their smiling faces after they received the color pencils, and I think I would never forget it.

The fact that the children's smiles made me feel strong made me feel the powerfulness of a smile. Since then, I love to smile because it brings people happiness and courage. In college, I will continue to smile and be enthusiastic, and I believe that my smile can make the University of Michigan more lively and strong.

I didn't really mention the word DIVERSITY in the essay. I only talk about what will i bring to the college. is that a problem? i was thinking to talk about diversity is not only about ethnicity, the living and learning environment could be very diverse even within a country ( i was raised in Hong Kong China, and the environment is totally different)

Please give me some suggestions. I am quite confused

thanks
Their reactions made me and happy and melted my heart and they made me confident, happy, and blissful. Even now, I still clearly remember their smiling faces after they received the color pencils, and I think I will never forget it.

Wow, you are a good writer!!!

You are right about not mentioning the word.. it is a problem, but only a small one. Your experience showed you how a cultural exchange can lead to profound understanding and warm, humanitarian efforts. Tell'em that!

Home / Undergraduate / "to smile and be enthusiastic" - Umic Diversity short answer