"Social System" - CREATIVITY, PASSION AND INTELLECT SHOW CASE ESSAY / EUGENE LANG - LIBERAL ARTS

Camilabido 6 / 11  
This has to show that i'm a pacesetter who deploys creativity and innovation to challenge the status quo. and that i own loads of passion and intellect.

THIS IS AN ESSAY I WROTE FOR THE NEW SCHOOL COMPETITION, basically you have to show on an essay why are you New School? (which is the university i'm applying to), why do you belong in the university? this essay has to let them see that you are definitely meant to be at the university. Intended major: Sociology

Why am i New School?

Being New School, it's definitely a way of seeing the world and everything around you, how passionate you are about what you see, and the tenacity you have to do something about it.

My name is Camila Bidó, I'm 16 years old, and I'm from the Dominican Republic

I'm fascinated by the fact that we, as humanity, build the world as we live it, we created the status quo, social classes, races, religions, what we call the "Social System", we are teach by generations that we are victims of its flaws, that there's nothing we can do to change it, to improve it, but I guess I kind of disagree with that. I acknowledge that we created the system, therefore is not untouchable, Its change is needed, and Its lack of improvement is lethal; I stand that limitations are non-existent, because possibilities are endless, what in the past was unimaginable is now normal, and what was unthinkable is now law, for me it's all about creating, modifying, not limiting yourself to what is there, but what it might be, and when I see what is not there yet, I feel the unexplainable urge to build it and make it real.

I found my passion in the study of society, and what has been the core of this is the fact that I have a constant curiosity and intense fascination about the discovery of the unknown, that has led me to question everything around me. I'm not sure when it all started, to be honest, is just all of a sudden everything changed, I started to fall in love with society, and see it in a different way, almost as if from an external point of view, I became fascinated by it. It's amazing that we've created all of this, if you stop to think about it for a while, it's overwhelming, I will dedicate my life to study it, enjoy it, live it, find what's wrong with it and try to fix it, I feel the need to do it, because I have a mad obsession about the improvement of humanity.

I am New School because in the way I see world society does not act, people do, and change it's up to the decisions that we make, because the determination and weird passion I own to push humanity towards it's evolution, has lead me to not live scared of change but rather terrified by the lack of it. And it's because I'm New School in the Sociological mindset that I will effect change as needed for our society to continue evolving to its advantage.
Camila, you should open the essay by defining what New School Sociology means to you. That will open up the discussion to your new ideas about how sociology can be cultivated for the better with some necessary changes that come with living the 21st century life. You should reverse the essay. Bring the final paragraph up as your introduction so that you open the essay with the punch that is needed to catch the attention of the reader. Don't be afraid to think outside of the box in this case. Being New School, you are encouraged to develop new ideas and approaches to the world that traditional schools and methods would not have allowed. By showing the reader that you are an innovative thinker who views the world in a unique manner, you will be able to better portray yourself as a student candidate.

Home / Undergraduate / "Social System" - CREATIVITY, PASSION AND INTELLECT SHOW CASE ESSAY / EUGENE LANG - LIBERAL ARTS