"solving the mysteries of life through biology" - Uc transfer essay help

margs999 1 / -  
I know its last minute, literally. But i decided that if i dont try to transfer i might regret it later in life. Anyways im a biology major and i feel like my essay is lacking something and probably isnt the best grammar so if anyone has anything to say that would be great

I lived in darkness. Like every other kid my age, I considered "life" to be sleeping, eating, friends, and school. I was blinded. It had never once occurred to me that life might be more than what meets the eye. My whole life I went through the California education system not learning, but memorizing. Not absorbing information, but rather regurgitating it on paper in hopes that one day I could become a functioning member of society. I was never truly passionate about anything in life. Little did I know that being apathetic had so many negative consequences in almost all other aspects of life. My unenthusiastic attitude reflected itself in many ways like my mediocre grades and my downtrodden attitude, but all of that changed in 11th grade. Who knew accidentally signing up for AP biology would drastically change how I saw every dimension of life as well as myself. I started off completely apprehensive of the class, almost regretting circling the coarse while choosing my schedule the previous year. But as each lecture delved deeper and deeper into the mechanics of life I found myself becoming entranced with the subject. As the year progressed I found myself studying the subject daily. My new found study habits formed not because it was required, but because of my inexplicably profound personal interest. Life became more than just the mundane activities of the day to day. To me, life was an enthralling experiment that I was lucky enough to be part of. Each breath I took, a series of complex chemical reactions that affected every part of my body. Each thought an electrical pulse coursing through the synapses of my brain. I couldn't get enough of it. I finally began to SEE life for what it was. Biology gave life depth and meaning, color and personality. By the end of that coarse I realized that nothing in my life had captivated me like biology. It was one of the few courses I got an A in that year, but it meant more to me than a 4.0. It was my own personal proof that I could excel at what I wanted when personal interest and satisfaction were my motivation. That passion and inspiration I felt for biology pushed me to achieve something in my senior year I failed to do my entire academic career, get straight A's. I went into my freshman year of college with no biology classes, and it showed in my academic performance as well as my state of being. Without biology for inspiration in my life, nothing academic seemed as satisfying or interesting. However, taking biology and chemistry this first quarter of my sophomore year has reignited my love for science in a way I have never felt before. I am back to spending more time than ever learning about biology inside and outside of class. It is from this newfound inspiration that has pushed me to try and transfer. It seems that with a better education in biology I can achieve and succeed in ways I never dreamed possible. At the risk of sounding cliché, I was always told to do what you love and after my experiences in the subject I don't think there is anything in this world I could do that would be as satisfying as discovering, studying, and solving the mysteries of life through biology.
g_sengupta 1 / 5  
"By the end of that coarsecourse, I realized that nothing in my life had captivated me like biology."

"It is from this new- found inspiration that has pushed me to try and transfer."
--sounds a bit awkward. maybe say something like, "it is this new-found inspiration that has motivated me to transfer." ---just an idea.

besides that i think the grammar and content look good! your passion for biology really comes through in your essay, good job!

if you get the chance could you take a look at mine? i'd appreciate it!

Home / Undergraduate / "solving the mysteries of life through biology" - Uc transfer essay help