"I spent 5 years in prison" - Experience that is meaningful for me

4ever2bleed 9 / 28  
Describe an activity, interest, experience, or achievement in your life (this could be a book, a movie, or an activity or experience at work, home, or school) that has been particularly meaningful for you.

"And I can let my life pass me by or I can get down and try working it all out this lifetime..." ("Lifetime" by Maxwell). There was a time in my life where I wanted to give up. One day, I woke up late and almost missed the city bus. As I sat down, I looked up and saw Rodney. He was the "cool" kid on the block. But he didn't look like the Rodney I used to know. He looked at me and said, "You Michelle's baby girl. I remember you when you were this high." He had put his hands up to his knees to indicate how short I used to be. "Rodney what's up? "I asked. "Nothing, just struggling to survive," he said. I asked him, "What happened to you man?" He shook his head, laughed, and said "I spent 5 years in prison. I can't get a job because I got no diploma and a record. It looks like life just passed me by, you know a wise man once told me, 'Life is like an exam, there are no make ups,' remember that, no make ups," he said and got off the bus. From that day on I wake up with a smile and thank God for letting me be able to see today. Every day I live my life to the fullest because I know that tomorrow is not promised. I can't sit back and watch life pass me by...because there are no makeups.
EF_Team5 - / 1,586  
Great essay. Be careful of the format of your dialogue; each speaker gets his/her own line; that's how your reader can keep track of who's speaking.

Nice conclusion.

Home / Undergraduate / "I spent 5 years in prison" - Experience that is meaningful for me