Stanford: "History must never repeat itself" (intellectual vitality essay)

jjenny9301 5 / 10  
CONSTRUCTIVE CRITICISM PLEASE :D

Stanford student are widely known to possess a sense of intellectual vitality. Tell us about an idea or an experience you have had that you find intellectually engaging.

"History must never repeat itself." Silence.

Ending on that note, my father left the room to answer the phone. Alone in the room, I retraced my father's stories of growing up in a land depleted and destroyed by warfare. Black and white images of Korea during the 1960s panned through my head-images of college students in demonstration, American soldiers in military uniforms, and mothers living alone with their children. But what was reality to my dad was merely a story to me. Realistic, yet irrelevant were his stories to my personal life. The painful memories engraved in his heart I, living in the 21st century, cannot fully comprehend.

"History must never repeat itself." Ring.

Left again with these five words, I closed my American history textbook and headed for my next class. Hearing this phrase for the second time, my mind boggled with questions. If history must never repeat itself, what must I do? What strength do I have when I can't even relate to the Korean War on a personal level? Though never a history person, these thought-provoking words left me curious. It served as a wake-up call. In my head now remains the phrase...

"What I do today will be history tomorrow."
iceui2 - / 70  
I like it. Since it's only 205 words, you should definitely work towards that 250 limit. Add more of your analysis, maybe expanding on the idea of "What strength do I have when I can't even relate to the Korean War on a personal level?" Good luck.
OP jjenny9301 5 / 10  
thank you!
any other critiques?
VERY URGENTT
Echofoxz 1 / 1  
It's really good. There's not much to add, if you add more words just to fill the word limit, that will most likely end up unnecessary.

Although I would change "Silence" in the first line to "Ring", because the repetition adds more impact to the reader.

Home / Undergraduate / Stanford: "History must never repeat itself" (intellectual vitality essay)