Stanford roommate essay: 'asian, born in Brazil and lives in Canada'

kevinyslin 2 / 4  
Virtually all of Stanford's undergraduates live on campus. Write a note to your future roommate that reveals something about you or that will help your roommate - and us - know you better.

Dear future roommate,
I am thrilled to start a new part of our lives at Stanford, and I'm sure that you too are as excited. First of all let me introduce myself. I am not your typical Asian, I was born in Brazil and lived there most of my life, and recently I have moved to Canada. A bit weird eh?

Being from Brazil, I have always wanted to check out if what happened in the movies was real. Interestingly, some of my Canadian friends already became used to me saying: "is it just like in those movies?" A funny moment of those was when I first saw a Yellow School bus, since I thought they wouldn't exist in real life, and freaked out about it. In university I always imagined that line across the room, dividing the room into two very distinct spaces. I hope it never comes to that in our room.

I tend to learn things quickly, whether it is school related, or just fixing something on a computer. And if you ever require assistance, I assure you that I will always try to help you to my best extent, even if that means dropping what I am currently working on.

Also I have a great passion towards sports, I can adapt to different sports quickly. I admit I don't have the best body build (I may be the skinniest person you ever know); yet I got into the rugby team. And even though I got wrecked every rugby game, I love the thrill that the sport gives me.

Don't be worried if you expect a super messy room with clothes thrown all around and old food on the table. I tend to be clean and even have a habit of organizing everything. However, don't be alarmed if I start mumbling strange words in Portuguese from time to time or if I become overexcited because of a soccer game. Also if you were to become interested in learning a new language, I would gladly teach you. I look forward for these 4 years we will spend at Stanford

Regards, Kevin Lin

I appreciate the feedbacks
Thank You
First of all, let me introduce myself.

Being from Brazil, I have always wanted to find out if what happened in the movies was real.

Interestingly, some of my Canadian friends already became used to me asking : "is it just like in those movies?"

A funny moment like that was when I first saw a Yellow School bus, since I thought they didn't exist in real life, and freaked out about it.

And if you ever require assistance, I assure you that I will always try to help you to the best of my best ability , even if that means dropping what I am currently working on.

Also I have a great passion for sports, and I can adapt to different sports quickly.

I admit I don't have the best body build (I may be the skinniest person you ever know); yet I got onto the rugby team.

And even though I got wrecked during every rugby game, I love the thrill that the sport gives me.

This is a great essay, it shows your sense of humor and that you're a nice person and seem like you'd be easy to get along with. Good luck with school!

:)
tgf808 1 / 2  
Dear future roommate,
I am thrilled to start a new part of our lives at Stanford, and I'm sure that you too are as excited. First of all, let me introduce myself. I am not your typical Asian. I was born in Brazil and lived there most of my life, but I recently moved to Canada. A bit weird eh?

Being from Brazil, I have always wanted to find out if what happened in the movies was real. Interestingly, some of my Canadian friends already became used to me asking, "I s it just like in those movies?" A funny moment like that was when I first saw a Yellow s chool bus, since I thought they didn't exist in real life, and freaked out about it. In university, I always imagined that line across the room, dividing the room into two very distinct spaces. I hope it never comes to that in our room.

I tend to learn things quickly, whether it is school related, or just fixing something on a computer. And if you ever require assistance, I assure you that I will always try to help you as best I can , even if that means dropping what I am currently working on.

Also, I have a great passion for sports; I can adapt to different sports quickly. I admit I don't have the best body build (I may be the skinniest person you ever know), yet I got on the rugby team. And even though I got wrecked in every rugby game, I love the thrill that the sport gives me.

Regards, Kevin Lin

Your personality really shines through in this, just a few grammar mistakes here and there. But very good other than that!
priscillaaa 1 / 29  
bit weird eh?

a comma after "weird"/before the "eh"
you're in Canada, you should know! :P

anyways, I love how unique your background is, and that you let your personality shine through this!

I would appreciate it if you could critique my essay as well...thanks!

Home / Undergraduate / Stanford roommate essay: 'asian, born in Brazil and lives in Canada'