It was in 2007 that I had started a heavy load of GCSE courses - Cornell-CALS

engchs 1 / -  
Hey if you guys can help out, that would be great.

How have your interests and related experiences influenced your selection of major? (College of Agriculture and Life Sciences)

It was in 2007 that I had started a heavy load of GCSE courses that would encompass two full years of study and during which two of those subjects would earn a position most prominent amongst my interests: Biology and Business Studies & Economics. For me, what started as mere forms of free association with the likes of Bill Nye the Science Guy and any of the numberless business shows that clog the airwaves became foundational pillars of cement by the end of my Lenten Term 2009.

Biology was so enrapturing to me that it almost overshadowed my considerable enjoyment of the other sciences I was studying - physics and chemistry. In Biology, I clearly loved how pure science laws, theories, and methodologies were fused and applied to living organisms. I couldn't wait to get into bio lab, slip on my dissecting gloves and jump into a new experiment studying the nervous system of a pig. Yet, biology was not the sole source of inspiration for me. I discovered a new passion in the Business Studies & Economics course.

As classes go, it was small, maybe thirteen people, and the class was led by an incredible teacher who brilliantly conveyed the complex nuances of the topic. Our first major assignment focused on a comparative analysis between two seasonal organizations, one non-profit, one for-profit. I immersed myself into the research of my two companies, Chester Zoo and Alton Towers Theme Park, and I discovered that the paths to their successes were compelling stories. It is clear to me now that this study of business had created an intense spark in my mind.

My early enthusiasm for the sciences and the business world has now evolved into a strong desire - a calling really - to learn more about each of these unique disciplines and their multi-varied sub-shoots. Enrolment in the College of Agriculture and Life Sciences, and double-majoring in Applied Economics and Management (AEM) and Biological Sciences, will let me pursue both passions. The unique feature about combining the study of the life sciences with management is that it provides more options post-graduation and more flexibility in the job market. Finance, healthcare, the pharmaceutical and the medical research industries are all intriguing to me with a career in medicine and/or scientific research figuring most prominently in some form or another. I am in my seat now, my luggage is stowed, my seat belt is fastened, and I am ready for take-off.
calvinhmw 9 / 21  
It was in 2007 that I had started a heavy load of GCSE courses that would encompass two full years of study; and during whichthat time two of those subjects would earn a position most prominent amongst my interests: Biology and Business Studies & Economics.

For me, what started as mere forms of free association with the likes of Bill Nye the Science Guy and any of the numberless business shows that clog the airwaves became foundational pillars of cement by the end of my Lenten Term 2009. (this is too long )

Biology was so enrapturing to me that it almost overshadowed my considerable enjoyment of the other sciences I was studying -like physics and chemistry.

As classes go, it was small, maybe thirteen people, andWith about thirteen people in it, the class was led by an incredible teacher who brilliantlya brilliant teacher who conveyed the complex nuances of the topic.

I immersed myself into the research of my two companies, Chester Zoo and Alton Towers Theme Park, and . I discovered that the paths to their successes were compelling stories. It is clear to me now that this study of business had created an intense spark in my mind.

The unique feature about combining the study of the life sciences with management is that it provides more options post-graduation and more flexibility in the job market.

Please go to my thread and edit mine, thanks !! :)
It was in 2007 that I had started a heavy load of GCSE courses that would encompass two full years of study and during which two of those subjects would earn a position most prominent amongst my interests: Biology and Business Studies & Economics.

I challenge you to say this in fewer words, more simply...

. I immersed myself into in the ...

This is good, but it could be better. Instead of emphasizing your zeal for bio, you should emphasize the specific areas of study that so interest you. Put the emphasis on your areas of possible specialization... do not bother with things like "a calling really" because that is just a dramatic way to repeat what you have been saying. This really is very good already, but what I am thinking is that you can convey the enthusiasm by focusing not directly on the enthusiasm but on the object of the enthusiasm.

I hope that makes sense and helps! :-)

Home / Undergraduate / It was in 2007 that I had started a heavy load of GCSE courses - Cornell-CALS